Mountain Project Logo

La Sportowa Nepal Evo: Hurt balls of feet

Original Post
Mike-Mayhem · · North Bend, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 70

I have had my pair of Nepal Evos for around 4 Years. I have always found them to be sort of sloppy on my feet, and require to be tightened  after every couple pitches or so...

Not until this year have I experienced excruciating pain in the balls of my feet at the end of long days. Granted I have done some larger days this year than I have in the past, but this pain is so bad it transcendes normal foot discomfort from mountain boots.

I have green superfeet in the boots that I have had for two years and also use for my ski boots. Is it possible the superfeet are worn out?

Has anyone else had this problem and how have you solved it?

Jeff Bone · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2015 · Points: 35

Mike, had the exact same problem. When I first got the boots nothing really bothered me but then discomfort progressively got worse with the ball of the foot and turned to pain. Tried numerous types of insoles nothing worked eventually had to change boots never did get it truly figured out, but I think it was constricting my foot vertically, maybe getting worse with break in and a slight collapsing of the forefoot area. I went to the trango ice cube and that has given me no problems with a lot more use.

Brent D · · New England · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 279

I had a similar issue and found that getting rid of the superfeet in favor of something with more metatarsal support has helped tremendously. I honestly am not a big fan of superfeet. 

Yannick Lockhead · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 60

I have the same problem with my Nepal Evos.  I've had the boots for about 8 years so I sorta got used to it and it only bothers me after really long days.  I find that lacing the boots tight exacerbates the problem.  I will usually keep my boots loose for the approach and only crank the laces tight for the vertical.  
I still have the original insoles that are really thin and hard.  I never tried a softer insole - I always believed that you needed a hard surface to be 'one with the crampon' and that a spongy insole might mess that up.

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Orange Supefeet! Green under the ball of the foot are “hard” and provide impact protection which you don’t need in a boot like this! Orange under the ball of the foot are “cushioned!” I used orange in my Evo’s for 10 years. As for wearing out - Supefeet says once a year if worn every day. I replaced mine after five years since they don’t get that amount of use!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "La Sportowa Nepal Evo: Hurt balls of feet "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started