Mountain Project Logo

New Indiana climber

Original Post
Jesse Someone · · Indiana · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Hello everyone, wasn’t sure where to post this so I’ll put it here. I’m 27 and just recently started climbing in gyms. I climb at climb time Indy and hoosier heights when I can. I tend to enjoy bouldering a lot more then anything else. Would like to learn other stuff or meet some new climbing friends around me or even just go out and watch people climb. Shoot me a message if anyone is interested. 

Jesse Someone · · Indiana · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

No one climb in Indiana? Lol

M.J McClure · · Indiana · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Kinda tough here since there's almost no outdoor climbing and it's the off season in the midwest. I hope to make several trips to Mad River Gorge this coming year and at least a couple to the Red. If you want to boulder outdoors you can go to Muscatatuck​​​, but it's definitely not destination climbing.
Not sure which side of Indy you're on, but if you're ever in the Lafayette area stop by Climb Lafayette. There's a big free-standing bouldering structure there and some top rope. Also a good, relaxed vibe and very friendly people.

Mattie Taylor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Hello! I just started climbing in Hoosier Heights Bloomington and I’ve been looking to meet some more climbing friends as well!

Dave Hug · · Carbondale, IL · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 12,145

Hey Jesse. It’s most definitely not the off-season like M.J. McClure stated, in fact it’s quite the opposite. Climbing season in the Midwest never ends, but the prime season starts in October and runs till late April. Crews from Indiana come down to southern Illinois all the time. Ask around your gym, I’m sure people make the trek. 

Dave Hug · · Carbondale, IL · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 12,145

Also, Jesse, you mentioned you enjoy bouldering, well there is no better time to boulder than the winter months. Check our the Holy Boulders, you won’t be disappointed. 

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

I grew up in Indianapolis and feel your pain. LOL.
Used to climb at Portland Arch but that was closed to climbing many years ago. There are some pretty sorry limestone crags around Bloomington but you have to travel to get to any decent climbs.
Climbing gyms didn't exist back then

Blake Reece · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5

I'm in the same boat. I have zero experience with equipment so I plan to stick to bouldering for a while. Planning a couple trips to muskatatuk. Wish indiana had more to offer

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "New Indiana climber"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started