Mountain Project Logo

Spinning tricks...

Original Post
Mike Bond · · Kentucky · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,191

What are the tricks you have used (effectively) to get a bolt to spin (for removal) when it just won’t budge.

Some I have tried:  Tap the bolt a tad to disengage the current set.  Try hammer mode to get it going.  Try to turn it by hand with a wrench on the spinning coupler.

What else is helpful?

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,769

A squirt 'o water from a (French's, 12 oz)  mustard bottle. I guess a Sriracha bottle would also work. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Lube. Lots of lube.

Gregger Man wrote:
A squirt 'o water from a (French's, 12 oz)  mustard bottle. I guess a Sriracha bottle would also work.
Out of curiosity, why do y'all use a bottle like that as opposed to a spray bottle? Is it just because that's what you had on hand or does it work better for some reason? I've seen people use a flexible bladder and a bottle with a squirt thing (like the old tall Gatorade bottles) but never seen anybody using a spray bottle, which is what I use because it works well for cooling down a drill bit.
The Morse-Bradys · · Lander, WY · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 4,689

20”+ breaker bar... reef on that, somthing will give.  So you know it may break the bolt first and in some instants you just have to put in a new hole.

Russ B · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 42
eli poss wrote: Lube. Lots of lube.

Out of curiosity, why do y'all use a bottle like that as opposed to a spray bottle? Is it just because that's what you had on hand or does it work better for some reason? I've seen people use a flexible bladder and a bottle with a squirt thing (like the old tall Gatorade bottles) but never seen anybody using a spray bottle, which is what I use because it works well for cooling down a drill bit.

I've used spray bottles in the past. They are more fragile and prone to leaking into my tool bag or not working after a while. A sturdy squeeze bottle is simpler.

Well the water in a mustard bottle worked great!  Perhaps the problem was this was not a wedgebolt.  See below.  I didn’t even end up spinning it or using the doodad. Once I got it to turn with a wrench on the spinning tool, I was able to pull it out by hand.   Some odd non expansion bolt.   Unfortunately, part of my spinner seems permanently attached to its mangled threads.  

dnoB ekiM wrote: Well the water in a mustard bottle worked great!  Perhaps the problem was this was not a wedgebolt.  See below.  I didn’t even end up spinning it or using the doodad. Once I got it to turn with a wrench on the spinning tool, I was able to pull it out by hand.   Some odd non expansion bolt.   Unfortunately, part of my spinner seems permanently attached to its mangled threads.  

Nice! I ran into a few of those either this winter and did the same thing, tried to spin it. They're split shaft compression bolts. One of them that I pulled was placed in a patch of bad rock in our already kinda soft sandstone and it was scary how little it took to pull it with the hurley jr. It was a bolt that got replaced but never got pulled, in that somebody placed a 3rd bolt at the anchor and people just stopped using that one. 

eli poss wrote:

Nice! I ran into a few of those either this winter and did the  They're split shaft compression bolts. 

Interesting...I guess I have always looked too quickly at pics of splitshafts. I thought they were a actually split.  Well, glad these are not commonly used anymore.  Especially in soft Red Rock stone.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966
dnoB ekiM wrote: Unfortunately, part of my spinner seems permanently attached to its mangled threads.  

I’m having this same issue with getting threaded rods in an out of the bolt puller. I’ve tried using 2 sets of pliers but had no luck. 

What do you guys use?
Jon Rhoderick wrote:

I’m having this same issue with getting threaded rods in an out of the bolt puller. I’ve tried using 2 sets of pliers but had no luck. 

What do you guys use?

I had this issue with the hurley jr. I was able to get 2 nuts on the threaded rod right next to each other and then wrench hard on the bottom nut while holding the coupler nut in place (with another wrench) until the threaded rod started moving. It totally stripped the threaded rod I was using, but it was only like a buck at the hardware store so I just got a new one.

A vise helps. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Split Shanks rock!

You young whipper snappers never had it so good!

:P

nbrown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 7,719
dnoB ekiM wrote: Well the water in a mustard bottle worked great!  Perhaps the problem was this was not a wedgebolt.  See below.  I didn’t even end up spinning it or using the doodad. Once I got it to turn with a wrench on the spinning tool, I was able to pull it out by hand.   Some odd non expansion bolt.   Unfortunately, part of my spinner seems permanently attached to its mangled threads.  

I ran into the same issue last year. I never could get them to spin (very hard quartzite) and finally as a last resort, I tried the puller. Ended up pulling fairly easily to my surprise. 

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695
Russell Bangert wrote: youtube.com/watch?v=PLl59N-…

Is there a video of something similar for a 5 piece Powers+ bolt removal? 

This shows removal of a rusty 1/2" Pwers 5-piece - skip the first ~30s
https://youtu.be/zzwbN-hKpZo

Here is a video explaining some techniques, although removing a new bolt isn't like removing a rusty one:
https://youtu.be/ItUJk9MKTi8

timothy fisher · · CHARLOTTE · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 30
dnoB ekiM wrote: What are the tricks you have used (effectively) to get a bolt to spin (for removal) when it just won’t budge.

Some I have tried:  Tap the bolt a tad to disengage the current set.  Try hammer mode to get it going.  Try to turn it by hand with a wrench on the spinning coupler.

What else is helpful?
timothy fisher · · CHARLOTTE · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 30

A good set of vise grips is standard in my kit. Will serve as extra wrench for jam nutting etc.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Spinning tricks..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started