Mountain Project Logo

Removing 1/2" Plated Steel Wedge Bolts

Original Post
Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676

How do you pull 1/2" plated wedge anchors? Mostly used for anchors in Dolomite.

I've had good luck spinning out 3/8" wedges in our rock, could you just get a bigger spinner tool? Thanks in advance, I searched around but couldn't find anything.

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,764

I haven't tried to spin a 1/2" wedge yet. It will be hard on the drill clutch to be sure. I would advise knocking loose the collar and manually turning it using two nuts and a socket wrench to get it going. Report back if it works. Making a 1/2" spinner shouldn't be that difficult - Get a 1/2-20 coupling nut and cut 1/2-13 threads over the fine threads with a tap. Not ideal, but might work. 

Thanks Gregger. I'll let you know when I try. There's loads of em in Ten Sleep that will need to come out someday...

The Morse-Bradys · · Lander, WY · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 4,689

I’d bet you’ll own an angle grinder when all is said and done.

Greg Kuchyt · · Richmond, VT · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 941

If the homemade spinner doesn't work as Greg suggests shoot me a message and I can turn a 1/2"-20 coupler for you with full 1/2"-13 threads.

timothy fisher · · CHARLOTTE · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 30

If you dont want to bother with the store bought fine thread adapter you can make one from worn out sds bit. Cut it off and remove some hardness by heating red hot with propane torch and let cool slowly. Then cutting threads is not too difficult. T. Fisher

Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,536

What solution did you end up using for removing 1/2” wedge bolts? There are a handful of old bolts here in Tulsa that are either 12mm or 1/2” wedge bolts

I haven't got around to trying as the ones that need removed are covered in snow right now. I'm going to try to put together a setup similar to what Greg suggested. I think lubricating such a large bolt with water will be very important.

C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556
Taylor Spiegelberg wrote: I haven't got around to trying as the ones that need removed are covered in snow right now. I'm going to try to put together a setup similar to what Greg suggested. I think lubricating such a large bolt with water will be very important.

Lube and spin. Its nice to have a burly drill like my Hilti Te-6 but I've gotten them going with my little 12v milwaukee as well. The nice thing about spinning 1/2" wedge bolts is that developers, at least where I live, never torque the bolt properly so getting the clip to unseat is easy. I like the spin and funk with a rod hanger attached method. I pulled a bunch last summer, most looking like this...

a beach · · northeast · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 426
C. Williams wrote:

Lube and spin. Its nice to have a burly drill like my Hilti Te-6 but I've gotten them going with my little 12v milwaukee as well. The nice thing about spinning 1/2" wedge bolts is that developers, at least where I live, never torque the bolt properly so getting the clip to unseat is easy. I like the spin and funk with a rod hanger attached method. I pulled a bunch last summer, most looking like this...

it appears with what you got out that you were able to re use the hole? maybe not with another wedge bolt as they are already 1/2" Glue ins?

beach wrote:

it appears with what you got out that you were able to re use the hole? maybe not with another wedge bolt as they are already 1/2" Glue ins?

Yep, I did spin a bit just to clean the hole a bit. I did drill the crux bolts to 5/8" for Jim's 8mm twist bolts.

a beach · · northeast · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 426

That’s rad if you can re use the hole, especially if you put in a 1/2 stainless wedge bolt. That will get you some serious time, then replace it with a mega glue in. That’s quite the lifespan from one hole.

C. Williams wrote:

Yep, I did spin a bit just to clean the hole a bit. I did drill the crux bolts to 5/8" for Jim's 8mm twist bolts.

Can you provide info on what you purchased for the 1/2" spinner tool and puller? Thread size, coupler nut size? I have the Access Fund's standard spinner tool that they've been sending out along with the puller. Thanks!

This plus a short 3/8-16 piece of AllThread should do it:
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=23836

Gregger Man wrote: This plus a short 3/8-16 piece of AllThread should do it:
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=23836

Correct me if I’m wrong - that’s for the puller, but depending on the spinner you have you might need a different coupler nut for that, correct?

Screw the 1/2" side of the reducer onto the 1/2" stud bolt.
Add a ~1.5" long piece of 3/8-16 all thread sticking out of the other end of the reducer.
Proceed as if it were a 3/8" wedge bolt - same spinner, same puller.

Gregger Man wrote: Screw the 1/2" side of the reducer onto the 1/2" stud bolt.
Add a ~1.5" long piece of 3/8-16 all thread sticking out of the other end of the reducer.
Proceed as if it were a 3/8" wedge bolt - same spinner, same puller.

Oh... duh. Sorry. I was first imagining replacing the coupler nut on both devices, but makes plenty of sense. Thanks!

Greg beat me to it. That's the exact setup.

Pulled two 1/2” wedges using just a coupler nut and 1.25” of 3/8” rod to adapt to the standard tools today. Definitely more difficult than the 3/8” wedges I’ve pulled out at the same crag. After tapping in to disengage the cone, both were difficult to start turning, even with a wrench. One continued to re-engage as I pulled it with the Hurley, so I wiggled it up and down a bit and it eventually pulled using the Hurley, but without the clip which stayed in the hole. The other one pulled fully. One or two unsuccessful pulling attempts with the Hurley, followed by more spinning in between, and it finally pulled. Thanks for the tips everyone

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

Those things dont look so bad... always loved the burl factor of 1/2 studs.

Not surprising they never got torqued to 47 ft lbs

Rob warden The space lizard wrote: Those things dont look so bad... always loved the burl factor of 1/2 studs.

Not surprising they never got torqued to 47 ft lbs

Agreed, they look better than I expected them to. Since spinning them slightly widened the hole, the hole was drilled out to a 5/8” hole and they were replaced with large twist bolts (based on ASCA recommendation)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Removing 1/2" Plated Steel Wedge Bolts"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started