Mountain Project Logo

Thailand in March

Original Post
Stephanie Tyler · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 20

Hello there fellow climbers! Me and a few of my lady friends are planning out Dirty 30 trip to Thailand in March. The stoke is so high! We are staying in Bangkok for a few days when we fly in, then headed to Phuket/Phi Phi Islands for a couple days, then spending a couple days in Chang Mai. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay that are close to climbing areas? How easy is it to get to the climbing areas? Things you wish you knew before you got out there?! Any advice or recommendations are welcome!!! Thanks so much! :D 

Trevor McDonald · · Milan, IT · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 118

Crazy horse in Chang Mai is currently closed for climbing, check the FB page for updates though . I'm otherwise on a similar circuit. Check out green climbers camp in Laos. It's just a skip over the border from Thailand and I understand the place is incredible, I'll spend a few weeks there first weeks of March. 

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

Phi phi island climbing my be closed as well 

Joseph DeGaetano · · Fayetteville, WV but curren… · Joined May 2008 · Points: 560

Good climbing within 2 hours of BKK but it's going to be hot and not the ideal season. www.namphapayai is the climber's camp and the perfect place to base out of.

Matt Parsell · · Ann Arbor, MI · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

headed to the spots around bkk some time between feb 17- mar3   and  bringing sport rack and rope. hoping to find friendly climbers there.

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905
StephCOChick wrote: Hello there fellow climbers! Me and a few of my lady friends are planning out Dirty 30 trip to Thailand in March. The stoke is so high! We are staying in Bangkok for a few days when we fly in, then headed to Phuket/Phi Phi Islands for a couple days, then spending a couple days in Chang Mai. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay that are close to climbing areas? How easy is it to get to the climbing areas? Things you wish you knew before you got out there?! Any advice or recommendations are welcome!!! Thanks so much! :D 

Heading there in March, my second trip there, first time climbing. From what I’ve read, the crags in Railay and Phi Phi are easily accessible via short walk. The new King book is done really well. I’ve heard the guided groups frequent the 123 Wall and Muai Thai Wall in Railay. Might want to avoid that scene or climb there early or late. Somebody mentioned to me that loose comfy shoes are nice due to the heat and humidity. 

For anyone in this thread looking for partners: I’ll be in Krabi & Phi Phi March 8-13 looking for partners. Will have rope and draws. Then in Phi Phi and Railay March 13-20 with a partner, if you wanna join. 

Chon Gaew!

Be aware there is a major dengue fever outbreak in Railay  several friends of mine are in the hospital as we speak! Happy hunting.

Jeffrey Constine wrote:  Be aware there is a major dengue fever outbreak in Railay  several friends of mine are in the hospital as we speak! Happy hunting.

Dang too bad about your friends. How bad do they have it, bad rash? Have they been diagnosed with dengue? Or just experiencing symptoms? Currently no vaccine available for dengue fever. Mosquitoes love the human scent of beer, sweet and salty foods. They dis-like garlic, onion, chili, lemongrass, tomatoes, beans & grapefruit. Tylenol only. Sometimes mild, commonly  mistaken for the flu or other viral disease. 

https://www.mosquitomagnet.com/articles/mosquito-repellent-foods

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dengue-fever-reference

They are in the hospital Krabi  sell account below 20,001 has liver damage Yother is on an emergency flight home 

Jeffrey Constine wrote:  They are in the hospital Krabi  sell account below 20,001 has liver damage Yother is on an emergency flight home 

F*c! Liver damage is serious. Thanks for the heads up Jeffrey. I’d really like to hear more in the upcoming weeks. Update on your friends Jeffrey or from anyone else in the area. 

Stay safe y’all 
Evan T · · Cornville, AZ · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Any updates on the dengue status? Should be headed to railey/tonsai soon

Trevor McDonald · · Milan, IT · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 118

I'm at green climbers home now. A couple groups have made the trek to Thakek from Tonsai in the past few weeks. Sounds like a few climbers a week are sick at any point in time. If you choose your crags carefully you can minimize your risk, but it still sounds iffy. I'm avoiding it 

Partner bump for Railay this weekend or Phi Phi next week. 

Andrew Chang · · Memphis, TN · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I'll be in Chang Mai in 2nd week of April. Are climbing areas far from Chang Mai? Any recommendations on guides? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Thailand in March"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started