Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Moving Tools/Techniques

Original Post
Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

I'm looking at come alongs and portable winches for moving some boulders between 200-1000 lb. I've done some research and before i buy something i figured i'd dip in here and see if anyone has any recommendations or experience they would like to share.
I'd prefer to avoid getting a garbage come along that breaks on the first use or cant disengage under load, so any brand/model recommendations are very welcome.
The areas i'm working on are not places i can bring a generator or vehicle so i'm only interested in portable equipment.

M Hanna · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 5

Google tractel tirfor or griphoist
Super safe reliable easy load release
Sometimes you can find them in surplus shops or on the used market

The unique thing about these hoists is that they do not spool up on a reel. Rather it pulls a straight line as long or short as you want, and actuates on each stroke of the lever (no ratchet). On a typical come-along, the mechanical advantage is lessened by increasing amounts of wire rope on the drum.

MH

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

I’ve had a More Power Puller for a couple of years and have been really happy with it
https://www.wyeth-scott.com/
Great tool made in the USA.  In fact mine was stolen and I replaced it with the same thing. 

For winding hoists like Sunny D mentions, I prefer to replace the wire rope with Amsteel Blue with a spliced eye for hook. This lightens the unit and is way easier on the hands than wire rope. As strong or stronger than wire as well.

A rock sling is indispensable as well, something like this

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=19711&itemnum=69169&title=Tree%20Tote%20Sling

Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

Those Tractel units are an absolute beauty and i can see why you prefer them after reading about them. They are, sadly, far out of my budget as i will only need this temporarily and not sure if i will need it much in the future. I wish i had an inexhaustible budget for all my development needs. ;_;

These More Power Pullers seem to be quite stout compared to the other units i've been looking at. Much more what i was hoping for price wise as well. I appreciate the advice regarding the Amsteel Blue cable and sling! This is exactly the kind of info i was hoping for!

Thanks so much, both of you!

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

I have the Amstel blue and love it.  I pack mine around in a pack to do work so having the synthetic cable is nice. Yes it is nicer to work with too 

Cheers!

Mh

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Boulder Moving Tools/Techniques"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started