Mountain Project Logo

Point of Rocks near Ft. Davis, TX Access?

Original Post
Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191

Found an old guide book with some climbs on Point of Rocks near Ft. Davis, TX.  Looks like there is a roadside parking area near it.  MP lists access issue of it being on private land.  Anyone have any recent information on how the locals feel about traveling climbers or what state the routes are in?

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191
Dylan Boyd 1 wrote: I've heard it's now on private land and you'd have to hop a fence to get there. Kind of sketch, but maybe worth it. Depends on your ethical bounds.

Since I am a traveling climber I am always a guest in some one else's domain.  If it is posted No Trespassing I don't.  Whereas I could find nothing that says don't go here and I did find 2 references that climbing by the public had been allowed in the past I figured a one day stop to climb a couple of routes would not raise a fuss.  We are also pack it in pack it leave no trace kind of people. 

But you are correct, I should have worked harder at finding out about access.  

While this is a very nice little piece of rock it doesn't quite merit being a destination climb, it has possibilities, but right now it's too far away and too small.    

Lee Payne · · Austin, TX · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 102

There's a FB group created by a new gear shop in the area: Far West Texas Climbing Group

They post fairly often about going to POR to climb.

Danny Andrews · · Austin, TX · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 286

I was there and didn't have to hop any fences to get to the action. I saw signs of other climbers going there as well.

Also, why are all the good climbing groups on FB. I don't want to be on that shitty site, and Fuckerburg won't even let me make a burner account because they make you use your real name. smh

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Point of Rocks near Ft. Davis, TX Access?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started