Mountain Project Logo

any web resource for ice routes in France?

Original Post
Vasily A · · San Francisco · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 5

going to visit my friends in France (Rhone-Alps region) next week, was wondering if I could do some easy ice climbing there. Surprisingly, I couldn't find much specific info available on the internet (and MP's Route Guide shows nothing for France). Any suggestions?

P.S. I can read French, so any local resources would be totally fine.

ok, I found. Just in case someone else will have the same question - camptocamp.org has an option of search/filter and includes lots of ice routes.

Rui Ferreira · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 903

Rhone-Alps is a relatively large region, perhaps you can narrow it down a bit as to where you will be located.  I have ice climbed a fair bit in the Chartreuse and in the Belledonne ranges close to Grenoble, but they are more of local spots as opposed to destinations.

There is also good ice at la Grave and other spots along the Bourg D'Oisans valley.  In the Parc des Ecrins there are longer alpine routes that are worthwhile, but it has been snowing a bit so avalanche conditions might not be the best.

In case you need more info besides what is available in Camp to Camp contact me. I have some of the guidebooks for the region.

Obrigado!
I'll be located in Lyon. Camptocamp shows many options in Chartreuse, Vercors, and around. I will try to read the reports and maybe contact you indeed when I'll know better my plans. (and of course will be grateful if you have any recommendations right away)

Coming from Lyon for a truly unique experience you could try

https://www.camptocamp.org/waypoints/726682/fr/voreppe-l-usine-dry-tooling

Bu for something more traditional, in Chartreuse I recommend the climbs in Gorges de l'Oiseau as there are multiple lines at this spot and the approach is relatively straight forward from the cross country ski trail (you can see the climbs at various points when walking in on the trail - just stay on the side and don't post hole the tracks. Drive up and over Col de L'Porte and about a couple km down park off the side of the road next to a private resort - closed in the winter, but there is a caretaker on site. There are a couple pull-off spots on either side of the street and it is not necessary to park in private property.

It is a five minute walk from the road to reach the ski trail at this point and then another 20 minute walk to reach the turn off for the climbs (head downhill) . The other option is to pay and ski in from the col.

https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/254889/fr/gorges-de-l-oiseau-le-grand-couloir

This area is prone to avalanches and I have had stuff slough-off from above while leading, so check conditions before going in.  The ice is dependable year to year.

Both options look very interesting, thank you Rui!

Jonathan Lagoe · · Boulder · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
http://conditions.ice-fall.com/

Apparently a great season out there this year 

I really like that the French climbing and ski sites all provide trip reports so information is up to date. Around here everyone treats things as such a big secret...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "any web resource for ice routes in France?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started