Mountain Project Logo

Rock Climbing Shoes Are Aid.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

If rubber climbing shoes actually made free climbing into aid, I'd like it more.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Which of course makes all ice climbing (big time) aid.

Are you proposing barefoot ice climbing?

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

I highly doubt dude sent an actual v17. No confirmed v16s. He has no cred to claim the hardest send in history

J Squared wrote:

uh, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalle_Hukkataival

"He has to his credit many first ascents and repeats in the V15-V16 bordering range....  He won Climbing Magazine's Golden Piton Award[3] for his hard repeats and first ascent of Livin' Large, a V15/V16 highball in South Africa. "

Nalle is not the barefoot climber

Shane Brown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0
Dr Strangelove wrote:

Nalle is not the barefoot climber

No but Charles Albert is well known to be one of the best boulderers in the world and he is heavily experienced at the top of the Bouldering grades particularly in Font.

He has done: Monkey Wedding (V15) in Rocklands, Le Pied à Coulisse (V16) La Revolutionnaire (V15), La Revolutionnaire Extension (V16) and Hypothèse assis (V16)...and many more in font

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867
Dr Strangelove wrote: I highly doubt dude sent an actual v17. No confirmed v16s or 15s. He has no cred to claim the hardest send in history

Someone just failed at the internet.

Sandy Crimp wrote:

No but Charles Albert is well known to be one of the best boulderers in the world and he is heavily experienced at the top of the Bouldering grades particularly in Font.

He has done: Monkey Wedding (V15) in Rocklands, Le Pied à Coulisse (V16) La Revolutionnaire (V15), La Revolutionnaire Extension (V16) and Hypothèse assis (V16)...and many more in font

Ok so my mistake...Charles sends one known v16, climbing through a different route which cuts 6 moves off, before proposing the hardest FA in history. Those other v16s you mentioned are his FAs which are unrepeated and grades unconfirmed. I'm just saying, it will likely get a downgrade from v17

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Wow,. Harumpfster & marc!
Coffee, the original performance-enhancing drug, accepted white powder...
- Chalk - was bad = aid, now it is another example of a white powder addiction,
 - Sticky Rubber,-  when combined with down-turned, twisted 'ballet' slippers= Aid
- Cams'- springs`n things, lobes changed the world, like Duct tape,= aid
- 70-80m long - Spaghetti thin cords, ?,   scary A4
 Got to tell it like it is

Lutz? Knee Pads are protection, Layton Kor & Royal Robbins as well as other giants paved that bloody road,

Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

Nalle, one of the most prolific hard problem climbers in history, struggled over calling Burden V17 after 4 years of solid work on it.
Charles bags this problem in a single season worth of work without shoes on and calls it V17?
I can't picture these two problems being in the same realm. I wanna see Jimmy Webb come around and attempt the flash on Charles' problem.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Brandon Fields wrote: Nalle, one of the most prolific hard problem climbers in history, struggled over calling Burden V17 after 4 years of solid work on it.
Charles bags this problem in a single season worth of work without shoes on and calls it V17?
I can't picture these two problems being in the same realm. I wanna see Jimmy Webb come around and attempt the flash on Charles' problem.

My disagreement with Nalle's Burden V17 is that if you watch the video of him working it and finally sending, once he changes beta, he sends very quickly.  Yet his reasoning for the V17 grade is the time he spent on it compared to others.  But really, he only spent a little bit of time on it once he found the right beta.  

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Being in shape... AID! Eating right AID! Hangboard workouts AID!

I’m the true climber and it’s about you people see it.

FFA first fatboy ascent 

Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5
Eric Carlos wrote:

My disagreement with Nalle's Burden V17 is that if you watch the video of him working it and finally sending, once he changes beta, he sends very quickly.  Yet his reasoning for the V17 grade is the time he spent on it compared to others.  But really, he only spent a little bit of time on it once he found the right beta.  

That is true. I'm about one of the worst people when it comes to beta lock so i understand this pretty well. :p  I guess both problems are a question that will only be answered with time an attention. Excited to see how they stand in the future.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Rock Climbing Shoes Are Aid. "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started