Mountain Project Logo

How many cams in your rack

Nick Gibson · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Needless to say, rack for the specific climb. But on most varied multi pitch I'll bring doubles in .2 - 3, one .1, a set of nuts, and 2 larger hexes. So roughly 18 cams supplemented with passive pro. And about 10-14 alpine draws.

This is all personal preference, so bring whatever makes you feel good. When I was getting into trad and slowly building my rack I had many occasions where I ran out of gear and had a difficult time building anchors and also had to run it out, so now I (admittedly) bring a lot of gear up. Also, I usually climb in Eldo and having a varied rack comes in handy. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
rgold wrote:

Romano has 'em and uses them on every climb.

But the real questions are,(1)  if you insist,  will he wear a harness? (not that 35 yr old 1 inch, giving yet another definition  of - "Hero Loop")
 &(2)Will he  at least carry the cams you offer him?(3) is there a way to make him place one? - (I've  had to place my own at the belay!)
edit:
 yeah, actually, I'd heard about the small "wheels" even a #1!
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I don't think he'll wear a harness.  Last time I looked, he had a few small cams on his rack.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

It depends, but I only have 17 cams total, so I will usually have 10-12 on my rack, with some offsets and some peenuts. I'll grab doubles from a partner if I think I'll need more.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "How many cams in your rack"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.