Mountain Project Logo

Zion / Via Ferrata / Eye of the needle?

Original Post
Danger-Russ Gordon · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any reliable information or topo for this relatively new, via ferrata line, near Zion that goes through the eye of the needle?

From my initial googling, reports seem mixed, but it appears ZAC guides (zion adventure company) are the only ones who are legally allowed to access this area due to the crossing of private land? Can anyone confirm or deny this? This route and canyon look like a super fun mellow day, but I can't seem to put together enough details from googling to feel like I know where to go. If anyone has details that would be awesome. 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

It is private land owned by ZAC and others. If you want to access the canyon it is via a paying for a ZAC guide. Otherwise you are trespassing.

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590
Allen Sanderson wrote:Otherwise you are trespassing.
My lack of ability to find information makes a lot more sense now. Appreciate the heads-up! If anyone knows if ZAC makes exceptions for access or gives permission for any parties to use the terrain that would be cool. Otherwise I'll just give them a call in the near future :)
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

ZAC put in the via-ferrata to make $$, so they are not allowing people to access their property without paying $$.

Jake Harmer · · Washington, UT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 65

Hey did you have any luck with ZAC? Looks like a cool tour, but definitely don't need a guide

Eric Draper · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2022 · Points: 0

The entire canyon is located on private property.  There are a few owners with shared access.  The property was setup as a recreational land co-op by the original owners.

Red Desert Adventure also guides the route for slightly less $$.  In the future there could be some self guided options.

snewman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

Inb4 blugnome beta

David Pneuman · · All Around Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 0

Totally lame tourist fodder. Similar to Whitewater Rafting. A short step up from Disneyland.

All the attitude money can buy. Similar to buying a Harley and trailering it to Sturgis.

Will likely succeed imensly as it addresses 99% of Americans needs.

Sigh.

Samuel Keller · · Son Sardina, Islas Baleares… · Joined Dec 2021 · Points: 0
David Pneuman wrote:

Totally lame tourist fodder. Similar to Whitewater Rafting. A short step up from Disneyland.

All the attitude money can buy. Similar to buying a Harley and trailering it to Sturgis.

Will likely succeed imensly as it addresses 99% of Americans needs.

Sigh.

I've guided eye of the needle for ZAC before. It's one hell of a canyon and definetly many steps up from Disneyland. Is it the best canyon out there? No.... But it's definitely a rad canyon, right up there as one of the best Swiftwater Canyons in the Zion area. And the via Ferrata looks cool. Definetly cooler than 200 feet jugging!

Is it too bad that it's only private access w a guide? Yeah, but all the canyons in Zion prohibit guiding, so you have a lot to choose from. 

I've only done the route in Telluride down and back in iffy weather once and do not have any where near the cajones needed to lead the Eye of the Needle, so I will need to defer and if the price is not too high, I will try your Via Ferrata. Perhaps there also isn't the exposure to rockfall in case of storm as in Telluride's.

Sorry. Was thinking Eye of the Needle Black Hills RE : Cajones.

Not sure if Cajones needed for the Zion version ...

Taylor Palmer · · Stansbury Park, UT · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

It’s on private property. It’s a great canyon, but you’ll have to hire a guide. There are 2 companies that guide it. The better one to go with is Red Desert Adventures. I wouldn’t waste your time with Zion Adventure company, they’re a buncha assholes 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Zion / Via Ferrata / Eye of the needle?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started