Mountain Project Logo

Recent rescue

Original Post
Clark Gerhardt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

There was a rescue in RR a few days ago---party of two started up Big Bad Wolf(4 pitch 5.9) at 4pm(sunset at 4.15pm) with a party ahead of them on the route and with rain in the forecast--they topped out after dark--no headlamps and inexperienced at rappelling--got cliff-ed out, wet and hypothermic on the walk-off....Called for a rescue. This kind of stupidity is wrong on so many levels. Worst of all, it puts the rescuers at LVMPD SAR at risk with a night time rescue in bad conditions. These fools should be billed for the cost of the rescue and restricted to the climbing gym.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

seems like a bunch of softshells.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,052

Where's the gym to crag class?

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

how are you going to police that they never leave the gym again?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
John Clark wrote: how are you going to police that they never leave the gym again?

Break all their fingers, install permanent GPS trackers, put a remote control exploding collar on their necks.

There. Any other questions?
chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6
John Clark wrote: how are you going to police that they never leave the gym again?

just take away their outdoor belay tags

Mello Onsight · · Alpharetta GA, · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 40

Tough lesson and hopefully they will learn and not repeat. Sometimes the hard way to learn can be the best way and it tends to leave an impression for life if their smart. As far as the SAR's people, (putting them in harms way) they love that stuff! You think they train to just sit around and play cards? Nope, they want to go on missions every day and night if they could. That's what they signed up for.

Choss Connoisseur · · SLC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15

Hope they got an ass-chewing from SAR. Agree, I think sending a hefty bill their way will teach them a nice lesson. 

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

An accidents in north american mountaineering report that I read some years back still sticks in my mind. A party got stuck on a cliff in yosemite, I think they passed a rappel station, with no experience ascending ropes. They called YOSAR and were rescued. Even after the rescue one of the climbers commented to the ranger that they loved climbing in yosemite because if you get in trouble you can just call YOSAR. Uh no, how about have some basic self rescue skills before embarking on a multi pitch (IMO ascending/descending rope and munter hitch at minimum). Some people will NOT learn the lesson, or rather, will learn the wrong lesson.  

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Benjamin Chapman wrote: Where's the gym to crag class?

I doubt that would have prevented them from starting 15 min before sunset without headlamps. 

Adam J. Clark · · Mill Creek, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 110
Pjm wrote: Tough lesson and hopefully they will learn and not repeat. Sometimes the hard way to learn can be the best way and it tends to leave an impression for life if their smart. As far as the SAR's people, (putting them in harms way) they love that stuff! You think they train to just sit around and play cards? Nope, they want to go on missions every day and night if they could. That's what they signed up for.

This ^

I've known a lot of fire and rescue in my life... more would rather have action than not, by far.
Adrienne DiRosario wrote:

I doubt that would have prevented them from starting 15 min before sunset without headlamps. 

You mean they don't teach common sense?

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20
Ashort wrote:

You mean they don't teach common sense?

Not allowed to teach that anymore. It offends some people. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Carolina wrote:

Not allowed to teach that anymore. It offends some people. 

I know you’re being facetious, but ???????

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Yes, SAR is there to respond, and that's their preference. Yes, people can be charged, if they are monumentally stupid, but that rarely happens. Not by SAR, usually by the agency that dispatches them (sheriffs, gere).Why? Because, if people wait to call in, it makes the job much, much, more difficult, most of the time. People are very rarely better prepared to "take care of it" than SAR. Plus, bad decisions beget more bad decisions.

Remember the "search" part of this, also. Far better to be called out, then called back in when McDufous shows up at his bar, then be called out way late, with little or bad information...and have the other "R" mission.

Recovery.

That's a huge service for loved ones, but no one wants that.

Best, Helen

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I admire them for pushing their limits. Sent 4 pitches in the dark AND rain! They saw a challenge and went for it.

Did they update their tick list?

Choss Connoisseur · · SLC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15
Sloppy Second wrote: I admire them for pushing their limits. Sent 4 pitches in the dark AND rain! They saw a challenge and went for it.

Did they update their tick list?

Right. Helicopter ride home was their reward, probably even had a PBR waiting for them. 

Jack Quarless · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

Beats the traffic on the way out I guess

Old lady H wrote: Yes, SAR is there to respond, and that's their preference. Yes, people can be charged, if they are monumentally stupid, but that rarely happens. Not by SAR, usually by the agency that dispatches them (sheriffs, gere).Why? Because, if people wait to call in, it makes the job much, much, more difficult, most of the time. People are very rarely better prepared to "take care of it" than SAR. Plus, bad decisions beget more bad decisions.

Remember the "search" part of this, also. Far better to be called out, then called back in when McDufous shows up at his bar, then be called out way late, with little or bad information...and have the other "R" mission.

Recovery.

That's a huge service for loved ones, but no one wants that.

Best, Helen

This isn't backcountry, it is a 20 minute walk from the parking area, if that. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Ashort wrote:

This isn't backcountry, it is a 20 minute walk from the parking area, if that. 

Lol! 

Which could mean even more people who are in over their head.

Tech rescue is tech rescue. The distance only changes which agency gets to respond. Even then, many have specialities and cooperative agreements.

Best, Helen
Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

Wait ...did S&R just hike up and get them or did someone legit get helicoptered from the top of BBW?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Recent rescue"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started