Mountain Project Logo

Where do you keep your phone?

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
Al Pine wrote:
 I keep it in here

You actually carry that on your harness while climbing? 

Nodin deSaillan · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

I keep mine in a hand pocket when climbing rock. I have found that keeping it in a side pocket risks damage to the phone. When winter climbing, I keep in in the breast pocket of my R1. This keeps it warm and easily accessible. On a side note, my girlfriend has issues with finding pants that have decently-sized hand pockets. Most, even techy pants, have pitiful pockets for women. It is quite annoying.

Victor Anderson · · Wausau, WI · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
Being bored at work lead to this rough sketch of a design much like the PopSockets they sell. Allows you to clip your phone to your harness while you climb
Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Grandpa Dave wrote:

No, it's different than the "roaming" setting. With no service plan at all, you can still call 911 from any phone. 

One other thing to keep in mind is that any cell phone network, including private networks, must accept, prioritize, and route 911 calls. Even if AT&T, Verizon, etc. don't have cell towers in the area, there might be a private network for techs working on power lines, radio towers, etc. that your phone will connect to for 911.

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
stolo wrote:

Lot of "summits" in NC have 4g LTE! 

Every time I climb a Nose area route at Looking Glass, I start getting emails near the end of the 2nd pitch. 

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5
Victor Anderson wrote:
Being bored at work lead to this rough sketch of a design much like the PopSockets they sell. Allows you to clip your phone to your harness while you climb

this is my own opinion, but based on what is shown, this seems horrible.  See, as an semi-older dude, unlike the millions of millenials with spider-webbed smart-phones dangling out of their ass-pocket, I value my screen on my swanky non-iPhone - and ain't no way I'm going to let it dangle from my harness like some testicle waiting to get smashed in some desperate OW move, only to hear it crunch!  You realllllly don't need a phone mid-pitch, stow it in your little multipitch backback and keep it safe.  

Now, build a fully enclosed case to protect it, with a solid biner attachment point, then go ahead and dingle your blackberrys,
S2k4 MattOates · · Kremmling, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126

Is that gray dick i see?

Russ B · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 42

I do different things depending on the day, I lead with a small pack pretty often so it usually goes in there, if not it goes in my cargo pockets depending if that's gonna be destructive to my phone based on the style of climbing, I also have a bd bag that has a zipper pocket on the back that I've used a ton.

Something I've been playing with and that I think I'm gonna do more often is carry a second empty chalkbag on my belt that closes up well filled with knick-nacks.

Also hi Yannick! 

Scott Poston · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 5

I just came across this solution: https://www.hangtimegear.com. I haven’t used it, but it looks climber friendly. 

Nick Battaglia · · Brigham City, UT · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I kept it slid into one of my belay gloves that was clipped to my harness. Worked great until just recently on some wilder rapels during a decent iost it.

Chris Topher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 5
Jeremy Bauman wrote: If I'm wearing a jacket, it goes in the breast pocket. If not-- then it goes in the regular unzipped pocket where it normally spends its time. Haven't had it fall out yet and usually have to wrestle my harness to even pull it out for photos.

Thread hijack:
If someone makes a great climbing pant with a good zipped pocket, that's not baggy, is stretchy, decently priced, and looks casual enough for everyday wear -- let me know. (have tried Stretch zion, Prana Brion, EB first ascent, BD First lite (worst ever!), OR -- bad fit.)  

The Arcteryx Russet is a great - has a side zip sort of behind the knee but not really that holds a phone. Not really decently priced though, but prolly the best all around pair of pants i own.

EDIT - Also a  small Fanny pack really works great when climbing 
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

My "deluxe" CR bags have a phone-size pocket:

J D · · SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 25
Scott Poston wrote: I just came across this solution: https://www.hangtimegear.com. I haven’t used it, but it looks climber friendly. 

I've got one of these. It works well. I have a big phone with a medium thick guard shell around it and it still fits. With that said, I obviously still keep the phone in a pocket eventhough it's attached. I do wish the connector to the harness was a bit more redundant. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
C Limenski wrote:

Looks nice! What’s the half zipper for? 

Uh... the phone size pocket. Did you not read that? It fits my Moto Z; I can't vouch for the newest oversize things out there.

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15
Gunkiemike wrote:

Uh... the phone size pocket. Did you not read that? It fits my Moto Z; I can't vouch for the newest oversize things out there.

I didn’t look close enough. The trim looked like half a zipper to me. It’s very obviously not upon close inspection.

My apologies.
Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Clipped to my harness with a purcell prusik and then stored in my left side thigh pocket.  

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

at home

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
rockklimber wrote: Clipped to my harness with a purcell prusik and then stored in my left side thigh pocket.  

How is the purcell attached to the phone?

Cut Jensen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

If you have kuhl pants they have a nice pocket on the side that’s convenient and it won’t fall out.

Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 16

Front pants pocket. It seems best protected there. I never put my phone in my back pocket cause I’m afraid I’d sit on it and break it.

I have a big phone and I guess I’m just used to it.

When climbing the leg loop is on top of the phone and keeps it from coming out.

I got a chalk bag that’s supposed to have a pocket for a phone but my phones too big for it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Where do you keep your phone?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started