Mountain Project Logo

Where do you keep your phone?

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20
Floyd Eggers wrote:

Are you skeptical? This is something enlightening to better understand how the process works. We used this tech when it was classified and now it's saving lives, world works in weird ways.  

Thanks Floyd. I was just being facetious.

Had herd in the past they can ping your phone even while off.  Guess you have to remove the battery and ditch the phone all together if your running from the law.
Very interesting link by the way.  Thanks for posting.
Wes Turner · · az / pa · Joined May 2003 · Points: 30
Bill Kirby wrote: Who ever designs a phone case with a carabiner hole would make bank. Think all the biners being used for keys.

genius. otterbox with biner clip. yaaaassssss

UPDATE: whaaaa?  https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Temdan-Carabiner-Protector-Shockproof/dp/B074NZSCXQ/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1541683931&sr=8-19&keywords=case+carabiner

bought one.
Grandpa Dave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Marc801 C wrote:

It's called roaming, and while technically correct that 911 calls do not require roaming to be enabled on your phone, who doesn't have that turned on in 2018? Especially folks who travel for outdoor pursuits.

No, it's different than the "roaming" setting. With no service plan at all, you can still call 911 from any phone. 

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

In my BD Mojo Zip chalk bag

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

Chalk bag zipper pocket. 

Haj · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 35

Jason Halladay, thanks for the shout out! The KOALA is purpose built for keeping your phone safe while up high. It stretches over any phone (with or without a case) and attaches anywhere you want. It will be available on our website and some retailers this Spring! In the meantime, I'd love any feedback on the design and/or features. www.hangtimegear.com. Thanks (in advance)!

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Jaren Watson wrote:

Does your phone function as a phone where you climb?

Mine doesn’t.

In many urban crags it does, like Eldo. I used mine to call for a rescue when my partner dislocated her shoulder on the upper ramp. Weirdly, I got texts in and out of Phantom Canyon on Wednesday, though pictures would not go and I doubt a call would have connected. No idea what cell tower was pinging. 

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Zippered pants pocket. If it's colder and I'm climbing in my R1 then the zippered chest pocket keeps it super handy if I'm using my phone for a topo.  I think the Patagonia sunshade hoody has  chest pocket that could be used that way too.

Christy Williams · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

This tether is my favorite!
LIFT+OFF Phone Strap​​​

Daniel Kaye · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 3,938

I've been keeping it in that mesh bag that new BD harnesses are sold in. I put a little biner through the plastic attachment used to hang on shelves, and backed that up with another cordalet loop weaved through some of the mesh on the other side.

I find the shape and zipper to be really easy to access, and even if the zippers open it's deepness keeps the phone in there, but it's easy to slip a hand in. And it hands loose kind of like my gear, and seems to stay out of the way in the same way cams hung on a harness do. I think the newer harness bags are a little shallower so it might not be as secure with one of those? I'll update when/if I have to get a new harness.

I don't know, it's been working for me for years, seems to hold up. I have a waterproof bag case i put it in when there's a chance of rain too.

Dave McMahon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 1

Usually in my bag but another poster made a point about a small phone. Ive got a motorola droid mini that takes great photos and is super small, it could also be used for emergency calls without a sim card. So really you want to get an older but quality phone of small form factor. Then sync all media on Wi-Fi. I grabbed the mini years ago now for like 100 on amazon I believe. 

Jacob Straszynski · · California · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 20

This thing. It’s a bit janky, but it offers enough peace of mind for me that I won’t drop it when I pick my phone up to look at a topo on pitch 9. I generally remove one of the lengths of lanyard it comes with and girth hitch it to my harness or a belt loop.

I’ve also brought a $3 Quecha fanny pack I picked up in Italy to put the phone and lanyard inside, but found there’s too much shit going on down there with the buckles from my chalk bag, optionally hip straps from my multipitch bag, not to mention harness etc.

I actually find the space on my chest really useful. It's accessible, visible, uncluttered, and rarely gets in the way. Occasionally I'll clip some cams to my chest strap if I know I've got some strenuous placements coming up. I’ve wanted something like a small chest sling for this kind of stuff in the past - I don’t often have a breast pocket when I de-layer.  Every sling I’ve found has been too big though.

I think what I'd actually want is some integrated shoulder strap phone pocket, with a key ring for these kinds of lanyards, baked into my 7-10L hydration bag. 

Pat K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 55

+1 for the Houdini chalk bag from TUFA.  Great product, made in America by a climber, excellent customer service.  

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Millenials can't climb without interwebs and instagram who knew?

:P

dullah m · · Elk Grove, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Millenials can't climb without interwebs and instagram who knew?

:P

Bruh, if you only knew how many likes my livestream of me TRing my 5.4 proj got. #livelovelaugh #thegreatoutdoors #2019 #neverstopexploring #goals #blessed

Ben Schuldt · · Bowling Green, KY · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 0
Abdullah Mourad wrote:

Bruh, if you only knew how many likes my livestream of me TRing my 5.4 proj got. #livelovelaugh #thegreatoutdoors #2019 #neverstopexploring #goals #blessed

Don't forget #NotAllWhoWanderAreLost

Another vote for phone in a pack or in the car. Paper topo. If I absolutely need to know the time I'll toss a small digital watch on my rear gearloop.
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I use a pants hip pocket for hiking, but while climbing I think a chalk bag pocket is best, after replacing the usual chalk bag fastex buckle belt with a sturdier Metolius substitute.

HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

Sorry if this has already been covered in these 5 pages, but I keister my phone in a ziplock bag along with a sheave and my weed. It's waterproof and easy enough to get at belays or whatever for selfies and angry birds

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

In my thigh pocket attached to a custom otterbox leash which is connected to a purcell prusik leash clipped to my harness.  When I want to take a pic I entend the leash then shorten it when I put it back in my thigh pocket.  

Al Pine · · Shawangadang, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
 I keep it in here
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Where do you keep your phone?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started