Mountain Project Logo

New to the big walls... best way to find a partner?

Original Post
Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041

So I'm an experienced climber.  Lead 10+ on gear and know my way around aid.  But how do I find a walling partner willing to go with a newbie?  I would like to do things like Washington's Column, Lurking Fear, etc... or even more difficult things with the right partner.  Thanks for the help!

Timothy Nooney · · Asheville, NC · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 55
ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Move into Camp 4 and bring extra food. Cook dinners that smell amazing. You'll have your pick of some of the best wall climbers in the world.

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041
ClimbingOn wrote: Move into Camp 4 and bring extra food. Cook dinners that smell amazing. You'll have your pick of some of the best wall climbers in the world.

This will show my ignorance, but does the valley have an ok spring walling season? If so, ballpark dates?

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

1. Go to Valley.
2. Stay in Camp 4.
3. Make new friends and get used to the climbing.
4. Ad on C4 Kiosk listing your recent successes plus your dates avail on MP.
5. Pick some likely victim and route.
6. Send.

Wall season is year round depending on route and its exposure plus recent weather. This is shaping up to be a wet winter so all bets are off for spring dates.

falling monkey · · The West · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

Just go to the valley and find some person who is stoked on suffering a bit and seems least likely to bail. Do WA Column or Leaning Tower, then go do an El Cap route and bam, you now know what's up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "New to the big walls... best way to find a part…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started