Mountain Project Logo

cooling tower project

Frank Niehus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
Jim Titt wrote:

They are kinda thin! The ones which blew down in the UK (1965 Ferrybridge) were of similar size and design to the one we are discussing (115m high and 88m dia base and they were 127mm/5" thick and that´s pretty normal (the remaining ones were upgraded to 7").

Hi, the cooling tower has a thickness of 30 cm in the basement. The thickness of the concrete is less in higher altitudes (131 m height). The regulations for cooling towers in germanyy  are the use of at least B35 concrete nowadays. Nevertheless i will test each anchor with the Hilti HAT28.

Thanks for your reply

Frank

A Little update,

we have finished the project and had no problems with the concrete of the cooling tower. For the upper anchor point in 20 m height we decided to use a steel plate.
Here is a photo of the plate setup and a videolink about the project youtu.be/jGoxwGmDrRA.

Thank you for the given tips.

Many greetings

Frank
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Frank Niehus wrote: A Little update,

we have finished the project and had no problems with the concrete of the cooling tower. For the upper anchor point in 20 m height we decided to use a steel plate.
Here is a photo of the plate setup and a videolink about the project youtu.be/jGoxwGmDrRA.

Many greetings

Frank

The steel plate should have been on the outside, in this configuration it serves no purpose.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Tradiban wrote:

The steel plate should have been on the outside, in this configuration it serves no purpose.

Hmmm.....

You don´t do much of this kind of engineering do you? That´s almost exactly what I would have built, maybe with a stiffening web horizontally but mostly I wouldn´t bother, just pick up a thicker bit of plate instead as welding costs more than steel. Wouldn´t have bothered with the hangers and dogbones though, "refined" design in 8mm plate or crude in 10mm would be fine.
Corey Day · · Denver · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5
Frank Niehus wrote: A Little update,

Many greetings

Frank

Pretty neat setup and interesting video. Thanks for the follow up.

Jim Titt wrote:

Hmmm.....

You don´t do much of this kind of engineering do you? That´s almost exactly what I would have built, maybe with a stiffening web horizontally but mostly I wouldn´t bother, just pick up a thicker bit of plate instead as welding costs more than steel. Wouldn´t have bothered with the hangers and dogbones though, "refined" design in 8mm plate or crude in 10mm would be fine.

I missed that the connection is on the plate since there's a mess of limp webbing as backup.

So, four 3/8 bolts within 6in of each other with no backing is what is holding this thing? Don't call me when the crete blows out with all four bolts still attached.

4 x 10mm SS wedge bolts 60mm embedment, C20/25 concrete = 4 x 10.7kN = 42.8kN working load. The typical failure would be over 64kN and I'd expect to see up to 150kN.

Jim Titt wrote: 4 x 10mm SS wedge bolts 60mm embedment, C20/25 concrete = 4 x 10.7kN = 42.8kN working load. The typical failure would be over 64kN and I'd expect to see up to 150kN.

Ya, if they were floor anchors.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176
Jim Titt wrote: 4 x 10mm SS wedge bolts 60mm embedment, C20/25 concrete = 4 x 10.7kN = 42.8kN working load. The typical failure would be over 64kN and I'd expect to see up to 150kN.
I have concrete failure on a 6" by 8" anchor pattern at about 12k (50ish KN) assuming 12" (30cm) concrete that the OP indicated.

Thanks for giving me something to do this afternoon!
Tradiban wrote:

Ya, if they were floor anchors.

What are you on about? I'd expect to see 25kN+ axial for each of those bolts in  C25 concrete and 35kN+ in something really good. I test maybe 100 a year in concrete to certify the things.

Jim Titt wrote:

What are you on about? I'd expect to see 25kN+ axial for each of those bolts in  C25 concrete and 35kN+ in something really good. I test maybe 100 a year in concrete to certify the things.

Real world is a lil' different than the lab.

Whatever.

Tradiban wrote:

Hi,

the steel plate setup has worked fine for us. Anyway, on the picture you see two green loops, who are connected with the outside of the cooling tower through a bolt in different concrete sections. I do not think it was really needed, but it was reassuring to have this two backup lines if the system would have failed.

Many greetings

Frank
Jim Titt wrote:

Hmmm.....

Hi,

we used a 8 mm steel plate as a base. The "Singing Rock" backup loops are probably unnecessary but we felt a little bit safer with it. Anyway, there are always things you could improve. Thank you very much for the given feedbacks during this project from an expert like you. P.S. I really like your products, especially the "Rod Belay Hanger".

Many greetings

Frank
Corey Day wrote:

Pretty neat setup and interesting video. Thanks for the follow up.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Many greetings

Frank
Frank Niehus wrote:

Hi,

the steel plate setup has worked fine for us. Anyway, on the picture you see two green loops, who are connected with the outside of the cooling tower through a bolt in different concrete sections. I do not think it was really needed, but it was reassuring to have this two backup lines if the system would have failed.

Many greetings

Frank

I don't doubt ithas worked fine, your project wouldn't produce much force based on the vid.

The point is that a force capable of breaking the hardware would surely break the webbing in quick succession.

If a huge force were able to be produced I contend it would rip the whole unit plate included with a chunk of the wall along with it.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "cooling tower project"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started