Mountain Project Logo

Hyperlite packs? Durability, comfort?

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

is framesheet in the 4400 removable?

JDMCO · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Caleb Schwarz wrote: Anybody have long term use comments on durability on the non-upgraded 2400 or 3400? to upgrade to the fully woven dyneema on the 3400 porter takes it from $345 to $600. Really feeling hard to justify. I'm going to be moving to nepal at the end of this year and I want something that'll stand up to the abuse, but at $600 before shipping/extras, thats pretty brutal.

Also note, I won't be carrying skis. 

Mine has held up pretty well, I got one little hole in the side that I had to patch, got rubbed through while sitting in the bottom of a rough fiberglass boat deep in the pacific with heavy vibrations, otherwise its been great. I think its pretty robust for sure, done a lot of traveling and climbing with mine. 

As far as the poster above, my pack has 2 aluminum stays, not a frame sheet, and theyre removable, but dont really see a reason to remove them.

I have the summit pack too with the extra pouch on the back, and its awesome as well.
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Caleb Schwarz wrote: Anybody have long term use comments on durability on the non-upgraded 2400 or 3400? to upgrade to the fully woven dyneema on the 3400 porter takes it from $345 to $600. Really feeling hard to justify. I'm going to be moving to nepal at the end of this year and I want something that'll stand up to the abuse, but at $600 before shipping/extras, thats pretty brutal.

Also note, I won't be carrying skis. 

Have you considered the Arcteryx FL packs? For those sizes I much prefer them to the HMG packs. Plus they are considerably cheaper. 

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
Chris C. wrote:

Have you considered the Arcteryx FL packs? For those sizes I much prefer them to the HMG packs. Plus they are considerably cheaper. 

I just ordered the HMG 3400 porter in their middle of the road DCF150 fabric. There are a few reasons I didn't go with arc'teryx. First, while I'll be mostly using the pack in a very lightweight way, there will be times where I'll be leading less experienced people for treks and will likely be pulling a good amount more than my share and the HMG has aluminum stays and a hip pad that will carry more than the frame sheet and webbing belt on the FL45. I also wanted the side compression straps because I'm going to only have the 55L (3400) as a one pack quiver for everything, and the compression straps will allow me to get all the way down to really small.

Edit: I'll also have a 24L. 
Overshot03 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 95

Caleb:
Was the 150d fabric a special order? If so how much did it go for? Thanks 

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

The black 2400/3400 DCF packs are 150d all over so not necessarily special order. Adds only a couple of ounces. 

The white 2400/3400 are 50d body, 150d bottom.

The white 4400+ are 150d all over. 

Overshot03 wrote: Caleb:
Was the 150d fabric a special order? If so how much did it go for? Thanks 

Yes it was. Today is the first day since recovering from the holidays that they're accepting custom orders. Here's my receipt.

And here's some quoted prices from an email exchange:

"Dyneema 3400 Porter ($550)
Custom Fee ($50)
Shipping ($)

DCH150 (white or black) 3400 Porter ($365)
Custom Fee ($50)
Shipping ($)

Dyneema 2400 Porter ($500)
Custom Fee ($50)
Shipping ($)
jdejace wrote: The black 2400/3400 DCF packs are 150d all over so not necessarily special order. Adds only a couple of ounces. 

The white 2400/3400 are 50d body, 150d bottom.

The white 4400+ are 150d all over. 

Only the Southwest and the windrider have the black DCF150 option unfortunately. The Porter requires a special order. And I got it in DCF150 white so I can easily see inside my pack.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

I also prefer white for that reason. Hope you enjoy your pack. Hyperlite is near and dear to my heart because they're in Maine, but not really the feature set I'm looking for in a climbing pack. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Hyperlite packs? Durability, comfort?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started