Mountain Project Logo

Cody Ice Conditions 2018-19

Original Post
Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

This time of year again.  Please post any info here.  And yes, I know about Coldfear, but info there is rare and often biased (sorry Aaron).

John Sims · · Lander, WY · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 20

Anyone have any updates? 

Tommy Hendricks · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 71

Yo what's up Wyoming ice climbers I just moved up to Jackson and will definitely be going to surrounding climbing areas such as Cody Wy, Halite Canyon in Boseman, and others. If you want to climb Mondays and Tuesdays somewhere direct message me on instagram @tommyhendricks Keep sending! 

EWRAD Weber · · boise, Idaho · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 82

Bump for conditions. Anyone?

+1 for what Sinropa said. 1st pitch of Mean Green was ok, but deteriorating quickly while we were on it. If you don't mind getting wet, Deer Creek Falls was in, but will be out very soon

Recent update anyone?  Are things improving?  Thanks!

Ross Hill · · Bishop, Ca · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20

any chance of finding a partner for the next 3 days (Friday the 10th)? I can lead WI4 confidently and am efficient following up to WI6. I have rope, screws and gear. shoot me a text at 907.978.2151

Here's a screen capture of a post by Jason Todd from another MP thread, posted Jan 15, 2019.

The following was posted today (January 29, 2019) on the SW Montana Ice Conditions Facebook page:

I climbed Main Vein last Saturday (1/26). It was in great shape. We bypassed the first pitch, but its there, just a bit sun rotten. The rest was solid hero sticks

Dr Worm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 115

Anyone been out lately and willing to share an update? Thanks!

Publius Vitia Isauricus · · Big Pine, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 20

Lost 2 pairs of approach skis today in the Deer Creek campground. They were propped up against the picnic table across from the restrooms. Any info please text me at(702) 249-8359. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Slim pickins...

Just spent the WE in South Fork.  End of season conditions for sure and a very lean year.  
River is still frozen.
We climbed HOB, Moonrise, and Mean Green and had a good time.  All three in good shape, although the first pitches of HOB and Mean Green were very wet.  

Checked other climbs on N-facing side by binoculars: Not much there.  
Horsetail looks amazing but very hard...  Duck Soup, Hunter Creek Falls, and Bozos all look good from a distance.  
Not much else that we could see.  Icefest, Moratorium, Joy After Pain, Sendero (and everything else in that area) are all out.

Nothing on the sunny side looked doable anymore (lower pitches out).

We saw 5 parties climbing on Saturday, none on Sunday.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Cody Ice Conditions 2018-19"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started