Mountain Project Logo

Is The American Death Triangle Real Trying to Kill You? Help Me Find Out!

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Dax Humes · · Price ut · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Hey climbers I need some help. I am doing my science fair on the american death triangle and the physics behind it; however, I am in need of a few pieces of gear before I can test it. I need a few carabiners, 6 to 10 foot section of usable rope, and some webbing. If any of you have some your looking to get rid of or know where I should look I would greatly appreciate it. I will even through a shout out on my presentation board for the help  .

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Are you in High School? If so, I have what you need and will send it your way. Send me a PM with your address.

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

Interested but I'd be interested in seeing what you were proposing first as I don't believe in the American Death triangle. Just because something is hypothetical doesn't make it reality.

PM sent ClimbingOn. Thank you!

Billcoe wrote: Interested but I'd be interested in seeing what you were proposing first as I don't believe in the American Death triangle. Just because something is hypothetical doesn't make it reality.

That is what I am testing.I will be measuring the forces applied to each bolt with the American death triangle and comparing it to the forces with a shaped proper anchor system.

Todd F · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0
Billcoe wrote: Interested but I'd be interested in seeing what you were proposing first as I don't believe in the American Death triangle. Just because something is hypothetical doesn't make it reality.

As someone who literally teaches this concept to engineering undergraduates, you should rethink this. When I did teaching demos as part of campus visits, I actually had students in harnesses making different anchor configurations to show this concept. Was fun. The nice thing about physics is that it doesn't care what you believe.

Does the american death triangle multiply forces? - yes, by the rules of physics, yes.

Does the multiplication matter? - this is what I'm guessing you are actually referring too....it might matter, it depends on the situation, the force will be higher but physics can't decide if that's a problem for you. However, the other thing to keep in mind is the ADT is also single point of failure...have fun with that :(
ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0
Jaren Watson wrote:

Somebody notify the folks from To Catch a Predator!

Ha, nice! Guess I set myself up for that. Just wanted to make sure he's a kid, as I'm more than happy to donate some gear to a psyched young climber, but perhaps not as much so to someone else. Anyway, he sent me a PM and I'll get what he needs out to him tomorrow.

I can't Thank you enough! And one big shout out to an awesome climbing community!

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Where are you getting the anchors, connectors, and sensors?

Jaren Watson wrote:

Somebody notify the folks from To Catch a Predator!

For all who were concerned, I am alive and well and have received the mentioned gear from ClimbingOn. Thank you to the climbing community for being concerned for my well being. :)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to ClimbingOn for sending the gear. I have learned a ton from this project already, and the best part is I am getting to climb and call it homework! My mom can't even argue with that now. :)

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started