Mountain Project Logo

Climbing near PV, Mayto MX?

Original Post
pfinnegan · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2004 · Points: 65

Checking in on any climbing near Mayto (puerto Vallarta) MX. I'll be there with a free day or two (12/4-12/5). Will have a car.

Don't want to drive too far. Should I just forget it in favor of the surfboard?

CnC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Sayulita is one of my favorite towns and has some awesome surfing, two breaks on either side of a reef (north bigger than the south), generally not very crowded and is an easy drive from PV, about an hour. I've never climbed there, but there is definitely some rocks on the north and south side of the beach. Youtube "Suyulita Cliff jumping", looks like its the south side of town by the cemetery. You can get an ok idea on google maps and images. Also, south of PV, about an hour, theres a restaurant called Chicos Paradise, its a tourist place but has some big boulders that some local kids do flips off big rocks for tips, nobody seemed to care when I was jumping off them so they might not care if you climb on them. Check that out on google maps and follow the river to the ocean, seem to be rocks in the river and where the river meets the ocean.

Eric Berghorn · · Calistoga,CA · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 968

I've been checking on this post periodically only to watch it quickly sink into obscurity. All of my partners (except my wife) roll their eyes when I tell them we're off to have an adventure in PV. Our destination in Riviera Nayarit, south of Sayulita, clearly has a couple miles of small "granitic" beach crags and boulders (as stated above) though they appear to be eroded and slabby in photos... While clearly not a true climbing destination it seems reasonable to throw some shoes and chalk in a carry-on...

Any report on your experience in PV or Mayto Pfinnegan ? Sierra Madres Mountains/Villages in the region close by reach 5000+ ft. elevation and look interesting. Mountain Biking(rental) looks good up there... Any additional info or photos from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

pfinnegan · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2004 · Points: 65

Hey - Eric. I'd say unequivocally bring your shoes and chalkbag. I did NOT and it was a mistake.

There's plenty of chossy beach bouldering in Mayto (between Lover's and Mayto Beaches). And we walked from Mayto to Tehuamixtle for additional swimming, eating and beach bouldering.

My bare feet got seriously mangled but it was fun as hell. Rock shoes and chalk would have made things even better. There are opportunities to deck but bringing a pad seems way too cumbersome - just pre-inspect, keep it chill and have a decent spotter.

I didn't get to Guadalajara (where the real climbing appears) but still had a great time. It's really hard to say enough great things about Mayto and Tehuamixtle. Great seafood on the cheap in Tehua, amazing swimming/bodysurfing, and the friendliest people ever.

Don't get me wrong - it is not a climbing destination. But bring your shoes and chalk. Grab a Modelo, cuzzi, and alternate between chill bouldering laps and epic swimming in a spectacular and pristine setting.

Oh I almost forgot: the water is warm!

Thanks for responding !. Glad you enjoyed your time down there and hope to do the same !

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Anyone have any tips for north of PV? Specifically between Sayulita and San Blas, or inland around Tepic?

These are some beach boulders just south of the “Bacholer in Paradise” resort Playa Escondida. The 50’ tower to the south is smooth polished granite... A fun diversion to swimming at the nice beaches there. You can access this area hiking along the beach 2 miles south from Sayulita Town. There. Is more bouldering potential down further but nothing really tall. Check out “Los Arcos” south of PV town for some larger rock outcrops offshore from the beach. Looked interesting !

IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

oh damn! thanks eric! any access issues?

All the beaches are public and can be accessed by local roads and trails. Staying at Playa Escondida was very convenient to exploring the area. Nice bungalows on the beach or in the jungle (pictured) complete w/ golf cart included to go back and forth to Sayulita. This was great since we didn’t rent a car to get around and taxied from PV to get there.

1 hour north of Puerta Vallarta 
IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

nice! we're staying a little inland but i think we'll have access to bikes. thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Climbing near PV, Mayto MX?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.