Mountain Project Logo

Alex Honnold Comment on TNF Walls are Meant for Climbing post

Original Post
Cris Garcia · · Michigan · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 42
On an uber recent post by TNF on Instagram, there was a quote by Donald Trump stating "never ever give up...If there is a concrete wall in front of you go through it, go over it, go around it, but get to the other side of that wall."  Alex was quick to comment "Awesome post" or something along those lines undoubtedly in favor of the gesture. I love TNF even more now for the jab and Alex too for the support For those that are inevitably gonna say that "ThEy ShOuLd STay OUt oF pOlITics" I'm sure a company as big as TNF understands what repercussions that kind of thing will bring and also doesn't care... Thoughts??
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Pretty damn sure TNF is gonna find that sentiment of Trump's former view to be somewhat controversial given he wants to make walls now.

But thanks for the heads up.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

What’s TNF?

Brice Pollock · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,194
mediocre wrote: What’s TNF?

The north face 

Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Pretty damn sure TNF is gonna find that sentiment of Trump's former view to be somewhat controversial given he wants to make walls now.

But thanks for the heads up.

Thats the whole point lol. Its a jab at him wanting to put the wall up

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Cris Garcia wrote:

Thats the whole point lol. Its a jab at him wanting to put the wall up

No, I get it. Look at the comments. Many butthurt Rumpers posting.

Sid Dunn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

tnf ???  Story means zilch, nothing.Have no clue (literally)  to any of what I just read.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
Cris Garcia wrote: For those that are inevitably gonna say that "ThEy ShOuLd STay OUt oF pOlITics" I'm sure a company as big as TNF understands what repercussions that kind of thing will bring and also doesn't care... Thoughts??

The foks that complain about how a company makes a political statement don't care that the company is political, they just don't agree with the statement.  Right wingers love to complain about how liberal stars in Hollywood and the music industry should shut up, but love to trot out James Woods, Clint Eastwood and Ted Nugent.

Just like Nike using Kap for an ad campaign and seeing their sales increase, The cynical part of me looks at TNF figures that they look at their market and figure they have much more to gain by making a statement, even a fairly benign one, then they have to lose.

Sid Dunn wrote: tnf ???  Story means zilch, nothing.Have no clue (literally)  to any of what I just read.

Read comments above. I already answered what it means I thought everyone would know that TNF is a simple acronym for The North Face.

Matt Himmelstein wrote:

The foks that complain about how a company makes a political statement don't care that the company is political, they just don't agree with the statement.  Right wingers love to complain about how liberal stars in Hollywood and the music industry should shut up, but love to trot out James Woods, Clint Eastwood and Ted Nugent.

Just like Nike using Kap for an ad campaign and seeing their sales increase, The cynical part of me looks at TNF figures that they look at their market and figure they have much more to gain by making a statement, even a fairly benign one, then they have to lose.

No I totally agree with you. If you scroll through some of the comments on that post you’ll see exactly what you just talked about. What I’m saying is more along the lines that people complaining about a company making a political statement that leans one way or another is a waste of time. I mean you’re not gonna get rid of it of course, people like to be mad and complain about things whether we admit it or not( what other purpose does this thread have right?).  However like you and I are saying, I’m sure these big corporations wouldn’t make these type of statements if they didn’t think it would benefit them and I just don’t see how people that argue against statements like what TNF made don’t understand that the people that run the social media aspects of their company fully understand the repercussions of making such statements for the better or worse.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

I thought "Walls are Meant For Climbing" was a pretty cheeky little turn of words and I thought quoting the President was a fun way to solidify the statement, using the opponents own words. (not hard to do with this President, but whatever)

Here's the original clip, if anyone is in disbelief:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-commencement-speech-wall/

It's around the 12:30 mark:

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Chris... I am sure TNF is quite comfortable exploiting people. It is their business plan after all. 

Guy Keesee wrote: Chris... I am sure TNF is quite comfortable exploiting people. It is their business plan after all. 

By exploiting people do you mean making statements that wont agree with everyones personal beliefes? Because if thats what you mean then yeah im sure thats what theyre doing hence their post. But im not sure what you mean by it being their "business plan" sure it effects their bussiness but i dont think exploiting people is their market lol

Cris Garcia wrote:

By exploiting people do you mean making statements that wont agree with everyones personal beliefes? Because if thats what you mean then yeah im sure thats what theyre doing hence their post. But im not sure what you mean by it being their "business plan" sure it effects their bussiness but i dont think exploiting people is their market lol

Any company that moves overseas to get away from paying Americans to make their American designs is exploiting Americans. 

I know people who have made the most useful stuff that we climbers use, get tossed out of the very company’s they started. 
All in the name of profit. 
And Chris.... not all are going to agree! Some are just plain stupid! 
don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26

The North Farce.

Never Stop Exploiting.

Guy Keesee wrote:

Any company that moves overseas to get away from paying Americans to make their American designs is exploiting Americans. 

I know people who have made the most useful stuff that we climbers use, get tossed out of the very company’s they started. 
All in the name of profit. 
And Chris.... not all are going to agree! Some are just plain stupid! 

Lol yeah you’re right there, you just can’t fix stupid!  Also I suppose you can always find a way of wording why and how exploitation is happening. I didn’t know they moved their products overseas to be honest I assumed that’s where they started lol. businesses are best kept small (this applies basically to any org,gov,Corp etc)In order to avoid these issues if not prices skyrocket and makes them unfavorable... every action has a reaction and I’m just glad I’m not the one having to make those calls. 

I like to support climbing companies that have climbers working for them. A fellow climber is more likely to not use the defective looking Dowell Pin in a cam assembly than some starving worker who will get hit with a shoe if they don’t produce X number of units per minute.
That’s why I like to buy Metolus, Wild Country, Mt. Hardware, Osprey and other non large corporations.
I know from experience just exactly what corporate executives mean when the say “we are moving so we can be more competitive”

Sid Dunn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Chris Garcia probably knows what TMZ stands for.

Guy Keesee wrote: 
That’s why I like to buy Metolus, Wild Country, Mt. Hardware, Osprey and other non large corporations.
I know from experience just exactly what corporate executives mean when the say “we are moving so we can be more competitive”
I gotta say metolus and wildcountry make some of myfavorite gear for sure!

Sid Dunn wrote: Chris Garcia probably knows what TMZ stands for
I want to say that you mean this in a way that's supposed to signify something other than me actually knowing what this stands for however, I don't understand what this would imply lol 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Alex Honnold Comment on TNF Walls are Meant for…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started