Mountain Project Logo

Post Awesome Trad Movies Here #2

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 291
Nate, you were right.. so many good videos.  
Really enjoy the 8 bit music vibes and the friendly butterfly in this one.  The rock, setting and climbing are pretty good, too. 
McHull · · Catoctin Mt · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 260
Paul L wrote: Nate, you were right.. so many good videos.  
Really enjoy the 8 bit music vibes and the friendly butterfly in this one.  The rock, setting and climbing are pretty good, too.

Beautiful line! Where is this?

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
McHull wrote:

Beautiful line! Where is this?

Japan. 

Trust me, the weather is horrendous. NOT remotely a climbing destination. Snowy in winter, monsoon in summer.

If you look carefully at the end when the camera pans out you can see most of the crag is munge with this one buttress offering the possibility of dry rock if you hit the perfect window ie even the cracks to the climber's left and right are running with water.
AaronJ · · Tokyo, JP · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 231
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote:

Japan. 

Trust me, the weather is horrendous. NOT remotely a climbing destination. Snowy in winter, monsoon in summer.

If you look carefully at the end when the camera pans out you can see most of the crag is munge with this one buttress offering the possibility of dry rock if you hit the perfect window ie even the crack to the climber's left is running with water.

This is nonsense.

The area in the butterfly video is called Mizugakiyama. It has hundreds of routes and boulders, with a two-volume guidebook. The developed climbing is not remotely chossy. It is too cold to climb during the winter, though I believe the boulderers still brave the cold. The climbing season is April--November, but of course you might have to wait for a dry weekend for the 6-week rainy season in June-July.

During the winter you can enjoy the andesite (similar to basalt, but very good friction and mostly great for gear placements in my experience) sea-side cracks at Jogasaki, the crag in the other video.

Trust me, the weather is not horrendous in Japan. You can climb excellent, if not necessarily world-class, trad, sport, bouldering, and alpine year-round if you're based in Tokyo.

Apologies if the quoted post was facetious, hard to tell around here sometimes.
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Lived in Japan for 2 years.

Weather fucking sucks for rock climbing.

Worst weather for climbing I could imagine. If its not raining or snowing its 95 degrees with 95% humidity.

AaronJ · · Tokyo, JP · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 231
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Lived in Japan for 2 years.

Weather fucking sucks for rock climbing.

Worst weather for climbing I could imagine. If its not raining or snowing its 95 degrees with 95% humidity.

Those must have been a rough couple of years.

I've lived here for 5 years. I have had a very different experience than you, apparently. Great climbing year-round.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Nate Redon wrote:

This guy posts some awesome videos. Check out the other stuff as well.

Holy crap the video quality is incredible.  Is that 4k?  I haven't been keeping up with video tech but I definitely a noticed a difference there.  Gorgeous rock, too...I could see the R rating.  That first piece seemed pretty damn marginal and almost everything was small except that one #3.  There were a few spots where he was in groundfall territory and definitely if any of it pulled...very well done.

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 291

I'm not going to post any more of that guy's videos, everyone should just go watch them.  Some are a bit heavy on the editing, but they have some of the best quality video and best drone footage I've seen, pro footage or otherwise.  And, no matter what HB says, the videographer makes Japan's rock climbing look pretty damn enticing.  The setting in most of those climbs looks pretty amazing.  Even if you were to travel there to climb and it didn't work out, what's the worst that could happen?  You spend some time eating awesome food and exploring what looks to be a pretty beautiful country.  

Paul L wrote: I'm not going to post any more of that guy's videos, everyone should just go watch them.  Some are a bit heavy on the editing, but they have some of the best quality video and best drone footage I've seen, pro footage or otherwise.  And, no matter what HB says, the videographer makes Japan's rock climbing look pretty damn enticing.  The setting in most of those climbs looks pretty amazing.  Even if you were to travel there to climb and it didn't work out, what's the worst that could happen?  You spend some time eating awesome food and exploring what looks to be a pretty beautiful country.  

Japan is the most expensive country on Earth for most things. I would love to return for many reasons. But climbing would be the last thing I would do there.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

please stop repeating the same video, that said I haven't bothered to keep up
has this been added?

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

The fact that you all can't figure out how to respond without re-posting a video 3 or 4 times speaks equally to IQ & lazynessHas this been added?TJ B, I always try to maximize the potential of a blank page. Please add a video that you have watched.
 As your ability to recognize quality is equal to your retention of what has been posted here.

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26
Suburban Roadside wrote: please stop repeating the same video, that said I haven't bothered to keep up
has this been added?

yes it has, but i'll gladly watch it again. 

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26
Suburban Roadside wrote: The fact that you all can't figure out how to respond without re-posting a video 3 or 4 times speaks equally to IQ & lazynessHas this been added?

again, yes it has but i'll watch it again. Now you're just trolling me!

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 457

Aid:
https://vimeo.com/33470817

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26

Posting an actual vid instead of a link gives a better experience.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
don'tchuffonme wrote: Posting an actual vid instead of a link gives a better experience.

I tried, embedding didn’t work on my phone. Jesus man, change your diet or something, might make you feel better 

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

I tried, embedding didn’t work on my phone. Jesus man, change your diet or something, might make you feel better 

I'll give it a try.  

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16
Lonnie Kauk's YT channel has some captivating, quiet soloing.
Zeb Martin · · San Francisco · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Kyle vH wrote: Lonnie Kauk's YT channel has some captivating, quiet soloing.

Is a free solo considered trad?

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started