Mountain Project Logo

Dope Recycled Rope Rugs--For A Cause!

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Katie Charron · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 155

Hi!
I am making and selling rugs from retired rope and am donating all the proceeds to my friend who is doing the Appalachian Trail.

I'm asking $50/each + shipping (which is cheaper than all the other Etsy rope rug listings, just sayin') AND its to help a fellow dirtbag.

Message me if you're interested!

Climb on!

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

how much for the dog?

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Nice rugs. Serious question with no disrespect intended - why would you donate to fund someone’s vacation? Donating to the local animal shelter would be a much more worthwhile cause. 

Nick Haha · · Choosing the path less trav… · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 365

I’ll take the slippers

@Redyns,
I am the dog. I am very good with my paws at weaving rugs and typing on keyboards. I am not for sale.

@ClimbingOn

I appreciate the feedback and love your initiative. I donated to 12 different charities for a 12 days of Christmas thing, including the Petco Foundation, which does great things to save animals' lives and promote adoption.

Why give to someone's vacation? Assuming that months of painstaking planning and hiking 2,200 is vacation, I am donating my work because I respect the hell out of anyone that does the AT and understand that exploring 14 states through and through is a beautiful way to explore our world. As a North Carolinian and appreciator of nature (obviously, I like rocks) I think that those who take the time to get to know the Appalachians are deserving of support, and are a wealth of knowledge for conservation and understanding of the outdoors. I don't think I'll ever have the physical or mental fortitude for to do the thing, but I'm definitely going to support the hell out of my dude who is going to do great things with the lessons he learns, I
m sure of it. (Check out the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, they do amazing things for all users of the mountains, maybe even at places you have climbed! appalachiantrail.org/)  

@Nick Haha

Those fuzzy moccs for bouldering trips? That's that good-good beta.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0
Katie Charron wrote: @ClimbingOn

I think that those who take the time to get to know the Appalachians are deserving of support

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I meant no disrespect. I too have thru-hiked the AT, although with no planning whatsoever (it doesn't take any, it's super user-friendly). It was essentially a spur-of-the-moment decision after undergrad and it was an excellent decision at that. It was certainly a vacation though, and the idea of asking anyone to fund my vacation never crossed my mind. So many thousands of people thru-hike the AT, PCT, and CDT now that it's super commonplace and nothing special.

I'm well familiar with the ATC, as well as other trail organizations. I've thru-hiked other long trails in addition to the AT. They're essentially what the AAC and Access Fund are to climbers. Exploring the 14 states may be a bit of a naive notion, as really what one sees on the AT is a green tunnel and a few small trail towns. That it's your significant other hiking makes a lot more sense. Hopefully you'll be able to visit him on the trail and maybe do a few short hikes along the way.

Nice rugs, and I wish you the best.

nmiller · · Montana · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 80
ClimbingOn wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I meant no disrespect. [commences disrespectful spraying all over complete stranger’s goals] I too have thru-hiked the AT, although with no planning whatsoever (it doesn't take any, it's super user-friendly). It was essentially a spur-of-the-moment decision after undergrad and it was an excellent decision at that. It was certainly a vacation though, and the idea of asking anyone to fund my vacation never crossed my mind. So many thousands of people thru-hike the AT, PCT, and CDT now that it's super commonplace and nothing special.

I'm well familiar with the ATC, as well as other trail organizations. I've thru-hiked other long trails in addition to the AT. They're essentially what the AAC and Access Fund are to climbers. Exploring the 14 states may be a bit of a naive notion, as really what one sees on the AT is a green tunnel and a few small trail towns. That it's your significant other hiking makes a lot more sense. Hopefully you'll be able to visit him on the trail and maybe do a few short hikes along the way.

True dat, why should this person even bother...they won’t get anything positive out of it, it’s just a green tunnel.  And besides it’s lame to do anything that other people have already done!  Especially if you actually have to *work* for it...super lame.  After all, it’s “nothing special” and you did it on a WHIM!  NO planning! And finished it over your lunch break!!  This would be a vacation for my grandma

Who said the other person asked for anything?  She’s just trying to help out, sounds like a nice thing to do.  And if she should donate every penny she has to an animal shelter, why are you on MP looking down your nose at people when you could be volunteering at a food bank or something...
Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
ClimbingOn wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I meant no disrespect. I too have thru-hiked the AT, although with no planning whatsoever (it doesn't take any, it's super user-friendly). It was essentially a spur-of-the-moment decision after undergrad and it was an excellent decision at that. It was certainly a vacation though, and the idea of asking anyone to fund my vacation never crossed my mind. So many thousands of people thru-hike the AT, PCT, and CDT now that it's super commonplace and nothing special.

Man you're kind of being a jerk.

Bump for beautiful rugs for a good cause.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started