Mountain Project Logo

Nomic Picks?

Original Post
Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

I just ordered a pair of nomics (2017, 2nd gen?) from steap and cheap at a pretty nice discount. Does anyone know what picks those tools came with? Also, is there more than one generation of the Pur'Ice picks? I'm coming from stock 2014 vipers, so I'm sure whatever they come with will be an improvement, but I'd like to know exactly what it's coming with.
Thanks

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

They came with Ice picks.

The latest Pur Ice picks have a few teeth on top near the head kinda like a mixed pick but I don't think the rest of the pick changed. Double check with Petzl. 

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

The ice picks they come with will be fine for a long time. Unless you're climbing WI6+ consistently, you won't notice much if any difference between them and the Pur'Ice. And keep in mind folks have been climbing 6+ with the Ice picks.

I just replaced the picks (which were very, very beat) on my Nomics with the Pur'Ice and while I like them, I haven't noticed any difference.

I notice a difference and I can't lead WI6. On hard, brittle Northeast ice the Pur's go in and come out easier, also less fracturing/dinner plating of the ice. Matters less when the ice is plastic. The Ice picks aren't terrible or anything, I'd climb on them if I were broke or certainly if I were doing more mixed climbing.

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Agreed I definitely notice a big difference when the ice is cold. Warm or wet ice doesn’t matter as much. 

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

Here is a good break down of the pick differences   thealpinestart.com/2018/10/…

Yup, also ​https://youtu.be/Ld1ph8baPgc​​​

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

From what I've seen online and in person, the new Pur Ice pick has the smallest tip of any Petzl pick in recent history. Not quite as fine a point as the Cassin, but certainly moving in the right direction for cold or delicate ice. I's still side file it down to sub 3mm thickness, but that's just my fetish I suppose.

Michael Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

Even the pure ice picks suck. Way to much ice displacement. Great tools for mixed and hooking routes, but you will never be happy with them on pure ice unless it is soft. Swap them out for Howie picks....then you will have a good tool with a good pure ice pick. That is my 2 cents

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Nomic Picks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started