Mountain Project Logo

Lance Armstrong interviews Alex Honnold about Free Solo

Original Post
Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

As both a cyclist and climber, this was interesting to see:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsBz7hbIj8

I haven't seen anyone post it up yet. Maybe I missed it?

It's actually pretty good, though Lance talked over Alex a little too much IMO.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

Does Lance address injections in his peehole?

Thomas Chapman · · Telluride, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 93

Lance seems like a cool enough guy to talk with but I dont think he's a good interviewer at all. It's just Lance talking like the whole time, interrupting Alex.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Not to diverge from the OP too much, but, as an aside, if you are interested in the Lance phenomena, the yellow bracelets, etc., check out this brilliant South Park episode:

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s16e13-a-scause-for-applause

Yes, I saw the same thing, Thomas...Lance talking too much, talking over Alex, etc. Still, seeing two icons from completely different sports at the mics was interesting (however you might feel about either of them).

England · · Colorado Springs · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 270
Daniel Joder wrote:  Still, seeing two icons from completely different sports at the mics was interesting (however you might feel about either of them).

NO. Lance is not an icon he is a cheat, liar, and complete sociopath. Used to be a fan, and raced in a few races he was in during his so-called come back. Wish he would just go AWAY!

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
England wrote:

NO. Lance is not an icon he is a cheat, liar, and complete sociopath. Used to be a fan, and raced in a few races he was in during his come back. Wish he would just go AWAY!

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that his reputation isn't so far shattered that athletes wouldn't refuse to go on.

I'm not surprised that he isn't the best interviewer, though. It's a skill that's learned and trained, and he spent most of his career on the other side of the mic.
Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255
England wrote:

NO. Lance is not an icon he is a cheat, liar, and complete sociopath. Used to be a fan, and raced in a few races he was in during his so-called come back. Wish he would just go AWAY!

To be fair, he's probably all of the above.

Zack Robinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
England wrote:

I think Lance acted like a total a$$hat to a lot of innocent people, journalists and otherwise, but I can't hold the drugs against him.  Every single competitive cyclist in that era was doing it.  It was a scenario where you either "cheated" or got a different job.  To me, this is totally unlike Barry Bonds or Mark McGwire taking the sauce because they want to hit 70 homers instead of 40.  The prevalence of doping in cycling in that era makes the doping forgivable, at least to me.  But yeah, there's no excuse for how he treated people like Betsy Andreu and David Walsh.

Lane Mathis · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 216

The doping is excusable because riding a bike or hitting a baseball aren't all that important in life. It's his treatment of those around him that is so very unattractive. However; I don't know him as a person only how he has been portrayed which is always a fraction of person. 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Yeah, Lance is just trying to be relevant in a world that just wants to forget him.

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Personality issues aside, the thing about PEDs is that it's still an absurd amount of work involved in reaching the limits of human performance. It's not like Lance put an IV on his ass and then sat on the couch. In fact, PEDs speed up recovery time and allow you to handle an even more grueling training regimen without your body falling apart, so on PEDs Lance did even more work than he would have been able to clean. I don't hero-worship Lance, but I do recognize that I don't have the drive and capacity for suffering that he does and would never achieve what he has because of that, even with identical genetics and drugs.

x2 for 'icon' and 'cheat' not being mutually exclusive.

This is also a plug for the documentary 'Icarus.'

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Lance used one nut. Honnold used none.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Andrew Rational wrote: Lance used one nut. Honnold used none.

Yeah, because cancer is funny...

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Yeah, because cancer is funny...

It can be. I don't think there are many topics that are off limits for a joke eventually. None of us are getting out of here alive, so we might as well laugh a bit. Even Lance did the same thing, giving himself the nickname "Juan Pelota." Hell, he even has a coffe shop in Austin with that name.

Skye Swoboda-Colberg wrote:

Cancer isn't funny, but lets not forget his cancer was caused by his doping.

That's completely false.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Skye Swoboda-Colberg wrote:

Cancer isn't funny, but lets not forget his cancer was caused by his doping.

Are you joking?  Or ignorant?

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Zack Robinson wrote:

It can be. I don't think there are many topics that are off limits for a joke eventually. None of us are getting out of here alive, so we might as well laugh a bit. Even Lance did the same thing, giving himself the nickname "Juan Pelota." Hell, he even has a coffe shop in Austin with that name.

Was just busting his ball(s?). Relax.

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10
Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Was just busting his ball(s?). Relax.

Lost Gear Alert: one nut on “Tour de France”...

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Gerrit Verbeek wrote: Personality issues aside, the thing about PEDs is that it's still an absurd amount of work involved in reaching the limits of human performance. It's not like Lance put an IV on his ass and then sat on the couch. In fact, PEDs speed up recovery time and allow you to handle an even more grueling training regimen without your body falling apart, so on PEDs Lance did even more work than he would have been able to clean. I don't hero-worship Lance, but I do recognize that I don't have the drive and capacity for suffering that he does and would never achieve what he has because of that, even with identical genetics and drugs.

x2 for 'icon' and 'cheat' not being mutually exclusive.

This is also a plug for the documentary 'Icarus.'

And in the process of taking drugs, they force the other athletes who put in the same heart to either take drugs or be eclipsed. I find that to be far more insidious than the potential self-harm.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

Alex needs a new publicist...

Everett wrote:

And in the process of taking drugs, they force the other athletes who put in the same heart to either take drugs or be eclipsed. I find that to be far more insidious than the potential self-harm.

This is true, but when you're talking about 150 guys in the peloton who are all on epi, that ship has sort of sailed.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Lance Armstrong interviews Alex Honnold about F…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started