Mountain Project Logo

Anyone driving from St George to Las Vegas area/Red rocks 1/10-1/11-1/12

Original Post
Anne Strolling · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hi there!
I am a climber usually travelling from crag to crag on my bicycle. I am looking to find a lift from St George, UT to Las Vegas area though, to avoid cycling the I15 back.
By any chance is anyone headed to Red Rock/Vegas area from St George in the next few days (1/10 late today-11-12) and have some space for a bicycle and some gear?
I'd happily split gas/costs and trade in stories and belays on the day or day after at Red Rock.
Thanks!

Doug18 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

St George shuttle to Vegas if you can’t bum a ride 40.00 I think.

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

I have not done it but I am pretty sure you can ride from St George to Vegas without using I-15, but your bike would have to be capable of handling dirt. You'd want to be pretty prepared with provisions since services would be lacking. It looks like it would be a pretty fun and desolate ride.

Old Highway 91 to Mesquite, then take HWY 170 to Riverside, where 170 crosses the Virgin River. That's where you would have to take some dirt to avoid I-15. You can take a power line road for about 20 miles to Moapa Valley. From there you would go HWY 169 to Valley of Fire HWY, then N Las Vegas BLVD/HWY 91 into the city. 

JF1 · · Idaho · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 400
Ashort wrote
Old Highway 91 to Mesquite, then take HWY 170 to Riverside, where 170 crosses the Virgin River. That's where you would have to take some dirt to avoid I-15. You can take a power line road for about 20 miles to Moapa Valley. From there you would go HWY 169 to Valley of Fire HWY, then N Las Vegas BLVD/HWY 91 into the city. 

That's a damn rough stretch through there

Anne Strolling · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hey thanks all,
I have tried to avoid the shuttle as I would need to take the bike apart and put it in a box which is a bit of a bummer for a 2hr drive. I came up via the 169/167 and had my share of chilly weather so I am just trying to get to Vegas as quick as possible.

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56
JF1 wrote:

That's a damn rough stretch through there

Rough as in the quality of road or rough as in you will get shanked?

In my younger days I was more of an adventure cyclist and it looks like a damn fun ride to me, haha.
Fleetwood Matt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 620

We just rode from St George south on dirt to Riverside then Mead back highway through Vegas, then on to Death Valley.  Great scenery.  Ride was casual with 30HP.  Maybe trickier to pedal.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Anyone driving from St George to Las Vegas area…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started