Mountain Project Logo

Best Car for Climbers

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20
E K wrote: The Chevy Suburban is giant and can probaly fit all the gear you need for a for climbing without putting any on the roof. Its not as big as a van but you can still fit your family in it. If your a access fund member I think they can give you a discount on any Chevy vehicle.

I had a Suburban once. Best ride ever. Four kids, camping, climbing, skiing, sometimes the wife and dogs, towing capability, other cars get out of your way. Just not very good on gas.

That was after 3 minivans, which weren’t bad, but don’t off-road too well.
Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

I'd think an Outback with a box would still be too small.
Minivan / Truck / similar sized vehicle.
1 car family? 2?
Might be best to buy an older, higher mileage one and a used Prius for running around town, work commuting, etc. Double the carrying costs, though - insurance, etc. Bust out the spreadsheet and try to project total cost of ownership for a few scenarios over 5-7 years. 

mkclimb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 416

Thanks on the advice, everyone!

For reference, we also have a Rav4 with a roofbox, and that is also too small. (Crashpads do take up a lot of space but I like to get decently off the deck sometimes).

4Runner has been high on the list, though I've been looking into similar sized AWD cars as well (Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder).

Hadn't thought of the Siena but it's getting so much love on here it's definitely something I'll look into, along with other AWD minivans - so thank you all!

That Rivian electric truck looks pretty cool . . . too bad I'm not Honnold-level sponsored, because I'm not putting 70k into a vehicle.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Do it in style. 71' VW Bus. Easy to work on and Stoned Master approved.

I believe the OP is looking for a vehicle, not a daily project.

Evan Jeffrey · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 75

I have a Honda Pilot with 4WD and it's been great. 5 crash pads is a lot but if you're using the roof too it'd be fine.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Marc801 C wrote:

I believe the OP is looking for a vehicle, not a daily project.

Its a way of life, man!

Don't be such a bummer.....man.

:P
Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

4WD crossover.  Just about every manufacturer makes one.  I bought a gently used Volvo XC60, but I looked seriously at the Audi and Acura RDX.  I have friends who love their Subarus.  I can sleep in the back of my XC with the seats all the down with an inflated mattress for support.  I tend to need to move most of the gear out of the car if I sleep in it though.

Patrick Shyvers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

With the number of crash pads you're quoting, I'm thinking something cargo-style with a low floor is the most up your alley. A low enough floor & tall enough ceiling would let you store the crash pads on-end against the sides, which seems ideal for making the most of limited space. Thus, minivans, or maybe the smallest Transit, or Transit Connect? I've been curious about the TC's ever since I started noticing mountain bikers stuffing four bikes in the back. Doing some quick research, the TC has 46" between the floor & roof in the back, which would fit any of BD's crash pads on-end. No idea what pads you've got.

Crossovers have pretty high floors, they are roughly speaking built for people more than cargo. And a big enough pickup truck will fit everything to be sure, but the big ones are for hauling gravel and sheetrock, not foam, so they are pretty overbuilt for your purposes :)

Had a doublecab Tacoma, but a family of three, three dogs, and gear got really tight.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

I have never been disappointed with a full size extended cab pickup, but I don't have human children. I also need to throw dead animals into it every year. Mine gets 18 mpg on road trips.

My Suburban with the 5.3L get 16-17, but it has a lot more shit to break than my pickup, mostly electronic...my PU is bare bones. Both make it through a lot of snow/mud, but the PU has higher clearance.

My old Toyota Tacoma was my all time favorite truck, but the towing capacity was not up to snuff for my boat, so I had to trade it in.

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2

F150 4WD crew cab.    Does it all better than anything else.

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

Used Pilot or even Ridgeline is pretty competitive with the standard Taco/Tundra recommendation since you aren't needing to tow anything or go crazy 4-wheeling. More likely to break 20 mpg hwy with the Honda's too... 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Do it southeast Asia style and pack everyone on a moped. 

M L · · Sonora, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 165

Gas savings and no high clearance needed - RIP Chevy Volt

Tomko · · SANTA CLARA CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

The big thing here is the 3-5 crashpads requirements.  That's a lot of volume... I think a Tacoma double cab with a short bed would do the trick!

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

pickup truck with a cap, you could put a air mattress in the bed for you and the wife and make a bunk across the bed rails for the kid. obviously when they are alittle older not a new born. i have done many trips sleeping in the back of my pickup

if your into traveling and like like alittle more comfort but need versatility a small truck camper might fit the bill. wont have much storage for the pads but its a good option...a truck camper is often over looked but its quick to load and all the gear can stay in it......... that is my current setup a 3500 pickup with a truck camper it loads in about 10-15 mins and i can use my truck like normal

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Used Ford Flex. No resale value, ugly as sin, so they are cheap, used. Big. I’m a big guy, and am comfortable driving in and sleeping in it. Four potential cross bar mount points on the roof for Yak racks, so options abound. Decent AWD and clearance.

Seats 7 pretty comfortably; but is not a minivan. We get about 20 mpg, average, but the caveat is that we are in Montana. 80-85mph is standard on the interstate here, and our typical drive to town is either 20 miles of highway and six miles of gravel, or eleven miles of dirt/gravel and two miles of asphalt. It depends on the conditions, but it generally takes 30 minutes either way we go. When we road trip in other states with lower speed limits, we average closer to 25-27mpg.

Edit: family of four, two car seats, dog, plenty of room with roof rack. We can put a big semi-whitewater canoe and a rocket box on the rack with minimal fuckery.

Red Label · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

I've had a lot of pickups (Dakota, F150, Tundra) and the wife has had a lot of SUVs (CRV, Pilot, Suburban)... and the best outdoor rig we've ever had is her current Subaru Forester XT 2.0 Touring.

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

The best car is paid for in cash so you don’t pay monthly payments or interest. More money for climbing trips and gear. You’re welcome 

Racechinees . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Why not put a cargorack at the back? Pads are not that heavy and less steel hauling around for regular use.

Mine euro sized one fits 2 like a factory option and will easily take 3. Use lockable straps to prevent theft or toss them in the car when you are doing other things. 

Mine euro sized car with a rack mounted with a bag (not saying you need to get this size of a car, but you can easily not choose a giant car to just fit crashpads):

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Mitsubishi Delica IV (discontinued).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best Car for Climbers"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.