Mountain Project Logo

Hardest Single Pitch Trad route on gear?

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
pfwein wrote:

I may say Meltdown at least deserves a mention!  And maybe what Will S said about G String (although I don't know much about that).  It's reasonable to say that the hardest things in the world require very specific body types.

I suggest the crux pitches on the Nose are worthy of consideration.  They are on one of the most famous climb in the world in the most famous place in the world (for climbing) and have seen very few ascents.  

It's interesting (to me) that Ondra dispatched Dawn Wall relatively quickly, but failed on The Nose and didn't seem to have any interest in going back.  (I do not mean to say Ondra couldn't do it if he tried.)  And if anything I've written comes across as sexist (I don't think it should), I hope everyone agrees that Lynn's FA of the Nose is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, feats in free climbing, regardless of sex, body type, or anything else.

I don't dispute one bit that Lynn's FFA is one of the top achievements by any climber but at the time was following Ondra's time in the Valley pretty closely and I think his window just closed on The Nose and he spent what time he had on the Dawn Wall. After that Dawn Wall effort pretty sure he could tick The Nose too.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Skye Swoboda-Colberg wrote:

Cobra Crack?

It's seen less than a dozen ascents.

[Edit] This is definitely the most established 5.14 crack in the world right now, here are the 12 climbers so far:

2006 – Sonnie Trotter (Canada)
2008 – Nicolas Favresse (Belgium)
2008 – Ethan Pringle (USA)
2008 – Matt Segal (USA)
2009 – Will Stanhope (Canada)
2009 – Yuji Hirayama (Japan)
2011 – Alex Honnold (USA)
2013 – Pete Whittaker (UK)
2013 – Tom Randall (UK)
2016 – Ben Harnden (Canada)
2017 – Mason Earle (USA)

2017 - LOGAN BARBER  

Craig Childre · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 4,860
s.price wrote:

I would disagree. The fact that Meltdown has been tried by many of the best and shut them all down regardless of finger size makes it the hardest on this side of the planet.

Point taken...   I think I was answering a question that wasn't asked..., "what's the best publicized/famous super hard trad route?"  and consider I came into the Trad scene watching Dider on First Ascent... so I'm bias!!!  ;)

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Anybody heard any news on the new Wide Boyz route that's supposed to be 15a?

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Ted Pinson wrote:

Ondra doesn't seem to be that into hard crack climbing, but then he sent the Dawn Wall so I don't think there's anything he CAN'T do.  I doubt his fingers would fit if Tommy's don't, as he's fairly taller.

I thought about Cobra crack, but the consensus seems to be on 14b and the number of repeats makes me wonder if it's a tad easier.  The Macleod routes are also X, although that hasn't stopped other crazy ass Brits like Steve McClure.  I agree that it's really hard to compare different styles...Century Crack (14b) might actually be the toughest; I can't imagine climbing roof Offwidth.  Tom and Pete took a stab at Meltdown and said it might even be harder than 14c...

Not sure whether this was mentioned  but Carlo said in a recent interview that the crux on Meltdown isn't about finger size

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

^^Jeez...then what is it?  That was TC’s excuse, but maybe he just didn’t want to admit that his wife (at the time) climbed harder than him. :p

eli poss wrote:

Anybody heard any news on the new Wide Boyz route that's supposed to be 15a?

You mean Crucifix?  I think they’ve worked most of the sections (which they named a bunch of weird things as variations) but haven’t linked it yet.  Sounds pretty nutty...combination of roof fingers and offwidth.

Fan Y · · Bishop · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 878

The Recovery Drink, although Nico Favresse didn't give it a grade after his FA, several world's best crack climbers have tried it a lot and failed, and rumor has it that it is around 9a (14d). 

Nothing new but relevant - Sam Elias just repeated Brozone

Jon Po · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 255
Jon Frisby wrote:

Nothing new but relevant - Sam Elias just repeated Brozone

Soon the Gunks will have a harder route!

Jon Po wrote:

Soon the Gunks will have a harder route!

directly through the middle between the brozone start and French connection? Big Chris said that boulder was pretty Vhard

Cole Crawford · · Cambridge, MA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 120
Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Adam bloc · · San Golderino, Calirado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 2,185

Larcher at it again! IG link. No grade suggested but he’s climbed La Rambla and this took him quite a long time

Matthias Holladay · · On the Road...Looking for a… · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 7,494

??

Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812
Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Kelley Gilleran wrote:

Damnit youtube......why didn't this show up in my sub feed yesterday?  Getting sick of them deciding what I do and don't want to see in my subscription page.  If I subbed I want to see it at least show up so I know it exists ><

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,963

Meltdown saw a 2nd ascent by Carlo Traversi, Nov. 7, 2018.

Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,376
Kyle vH wrote:

I agree. I feel like, intentionally or not, 'smallness' is a way to undermine female accomplishment in climbing. We simply don't apply the same logic to tallness. When a tall male climber has a long reach and sends a long-reach crux we don't use that to undermine his accomplishment. We say bravo, that route is hard as fuck, and we expect others to dyno a little or come up with a new sequence. 

Absolutely. So psyched Meltdown got a repeat. Surely all the critics fingers are feeling pretty fat right now.

Gab Beaudoin · · North Vancouver, BC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

The path 5.14R in lake Louise. canada

Zane Winter · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 922
Alex Bury wrote:

Surely all the critics fingers are feeling pretty fat right now.

brilliant wording. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Hardest Single Pitch Trad route on gear?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started