Mountain Project Logo

Skiers with glasses...

Original Post
Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 291

... what are your tricks for managing fog/moisture?  What goggles do you like?  
I'm replacing my old OTG goggles, and I'm curious what others like.  Also, anything you've found for keeping your glasses and your goggles from fogging/freezing?  

I was up on Hood yesterday in fairly warm conditions, but still below freezing, with a lot of moisture in the air and terrible light, and managing the fogging and freezing of my glasses and/or my goggles basically the whole time was a real pain in the ass.  On the skin up I could at least take my glasses off, which helped, but I have to wear my glasses for descending if I don't want to run into or over something.  I think it was the particular conditions yesterday that had either moisture building up on my glasses and then freezing, or my goggles fogging, or both.  

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

I wear glasses and rarely have an issue unless it is snowing. It has to really crappy before I use my goggles. Try using some defog before you head out.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

I use prescription cycling specific shades. Not as good as goggles, but works pretty well. 

Doug18 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

I ski in glasses, only use goggles when the weather is stormy. But that’s just me I am an old guy and that’s how I grew up. Heck I just started using a helmet last year.

Perry Norris · · Truckee, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Smith makes a goggle with a battery operated fan specifically for folks who wear glasses. It works great. You hardly notice it when skiing. The goggle is large but the fan and battery very light and not a nuisance.

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

I wear glasses and if I am not wearing goggles, I used to use the same anti-fog I use for my dive mask on my glasses and my goggles. The biggest factor for me is just making sure 100% of your breath venting down if your face is covered even slightly.

The easiest solution by far is just to get contacts. Get as small of an order of dailies as you can and wear them for nothing but climbing and skiing. Those are the only times I wear my contacts and it makes things so much easier.

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Jack Servedio wrote: 
The easiest solution by far is just to get contacts. Get as small of an order of dailies as you can and wear them for nothing but climbing and skiing. Those are the only times I wear my contacts and it makes things so much easier.

I started like this, wearing contacts for sailing and soccer and whatever else glasses were not good for. Now I just do contacts every day and don't even own a pair of glasses. The future is now, join us.

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 291

Unfortunately I can't do contacts.  I have naturally dry eyes, and literally tend to sleep with at least one eye (partially) open which just exacerbates the dryness.  Plus I spend a fair amount of time in a restaurant kitchen with grease, hot air and a wood fired grill thrown in the mix.  I've learned over the years that contacts are not a good fit for me.

For the same reason, I find that if I don't wear my goggles on descents, my eyes feel totally shot after a day of skiing.  Drops help, but not completely.

The goggles I'm replacing are the Smith with the fan, though an old version, that never really worked super well for me.  I'm looking now at a pair of the new normal, oversized goggles that are OTG friendly.  I'll try the dive mask anti-fog, too.  

Brian Hansen · · West of Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 45

If you can afford them, goggles with prescription inserts are great.  I just got some here: https://www.sportrx.com/

The inserts easily pop out for cleaning and are far enough from your face that fogging doesn't seem to be an issue.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

i only occasionally had a problem with lenses fogging, but it was easy to manage. for years i rode in "over the glasses" type goggles from scott.

now i wear contacts and don;t worry about it :)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Cat Crap on the glasses and never take off the goggles outside. 

Micahisaac · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 80

+1 for sportrx.com
Goggle insert frames are a game changer

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622

I ski in my prescription Glacier Glasses which I got from https://www.opticus.com/.

If the weather is bad, and goggles are needed I use some I bought from Snow Summit - with cutouts in the side for glasses, and I wear my regular glasses not shades - I've never had any fogging issues. BTW if the weather is bad I usually don't ski, I mean I don't climb when the weather is bad so why would I ski?

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

LASIK. I wore glasses and contacts for about 25 years. No more. Now I wear goggles like a normal person, and when I'm camping and I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I actually see the stars. 

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

I have a prescription insert that snaps in behind the goggle lens with no fogging problems. It's a plastic frame with springy arms that cost a lot less than prescription goggles--I think it was about $125.

Robert Miles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Paul L, I have just followed your question about ski goggles. There have long been ski goggles intended to suit over lenses. Even though, this in itself can result in other problem, as most of the people come upon that ski goggles fog or moisture. Especially, I like these effective anti-fog safety goggles for safety or protection eyewear requirements when I face some difficulties during outdoor activities with ski lenses.

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180
Brian Hansen wrote: If you can afford them, goggles with prescription inserts are great.  I just got some here: https://www.sportrx.com/

The inserts easily pop out for cleaning and are far enough from your face that fogging doesn't seem to be an issue.

This seems like the best solution. I wear contact lenses, have forever. I think Smith also does rx sunglasses in different styles as well. With all of that on board, that would seem to always get you through. My buddy used to roll with those old school Smith fan goggles w his glasses bitd, but there seems like better options out there, esp. with Brian’s link. A bit costly, but necessary. 

rob bauer · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 3,929

These worked for a friend of mine when ice climbing and skiing.  You can buy the fan separately very reasonably.
https://www.habervision.com/Fan-Goggles_c_37.html 

Jeff Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

I have used the SnowVision goggle, they are a bit more expensive than inserts but fully integrated in the ski goggle. When looking for prescription ski goggles I think they are the best out there right now.

Sam Patel · · Dallas · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

something that worked for me last trip was

once i put my goggles on, i wouldnt take them off .

isnt the most ideal solution. but only thing that kept my goggles from fogging up all day. 

Alex Nillson · · Irving · Joined Mar 2021 · Points: 0
curt86iroc wrote: i only occasionally had a problem with lenses fogging, but it was easy to manage. for years i rode in "over the glasses" type goggles from scott.

now i wear contacts and don;t worry about it :)

You can buy an anti fog spray and in general there will be no problems with fogging glasses. Unfortunately, I cannot switch to lizna like you, but only this spray saves me

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Skiers with glasses... "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started