Mountain Project Logo

Free Solo and Terra Incognita

Joseph Kim · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 286

Jesus this is wild

Jamie A · · SLC, UT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1

I was about as open of an audience as she could have asked for. White privilege? I'm all ears. Toxic masculinity? It needs to be discussed (even though I think it's a terrible term that alienates people) Recognizing and giving respect to indigenous people? Abso-freaking-lutely. But she lost me... the article meandered and never truly expounded on any of the interesting points she brought up. I hate to say it, but she's just not a good writer. The article seems to do nothing for people who want to learn and only seems to exist to bolster the opinions of people who already agree with her. Her discussion on her personal and business Instagrams have finally convinced me that she's not willing to engage in reasonable, respectful discussion which is a dealbreaker for me. Will not be clicking on any more links for her or giving her essays the time of day anymore. 

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Jamie A wrote: I was about as open of an audience as she could have asked for. White privilege? I'm all ears. Toxic masculinity? It needs to be discussed (even though I think it's a terrible term that alienates people) Recognizing and giving respect to indigenous people? Abso-freaking-lutely. But she lost me... the article meandered and never truly expounded on any of the interesting points she brought up. I hate to say it, but she's just not a good writer. The article seems to do nothing for people who want to learn and only seems to exist to bolster the opinions of people who already agree with her. Her discussion on her personal and business Instagrams have finally convinced me that she's not willing to engage in reasonable, respectful discussion which is a dealbreaker for me. Will not be clicking on any more links for her or giving her essays the time of day anymore. 

She doesn't care about changing minds, she just wants to virtue signal

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175
J Squared wrote:

what point is that exactly?

all men being 'created' equal still holds true.   anyone can end up a slave after being created.

the same crowd that created the mindset behind Terra Incognita is the same crowd that tells people that they should be slaves to their race, to their gender.

"we hold these truths to be self evident:  White people are garbage.  Men are terrible. "

Cortney L · · Englehood, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 42
Ross Goldberg wrote:
Every day I go about my business without reading much into what other people are doing/saying, for someone like her every day must be filled with lots of anger,angst, and anxiety at the world and herself. She seems to believe that she needs go about every day hating herself for something she cannot change (being white) and being angry at other people for doing things she thinks are wrongdoings as she seems to think what most people do is wrong.

I always get stuck here too because this is how I live my life (just choosing to be happy). And the argument seems to say the reason you can live that way is because of your /insert broad generalization privilege here/. 

It'd be cool if I could live my life and be happy, and also help people who aren't as fortunate as myself, without the accusation of being a shit person.   

Insert name · · Harts Location · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 46
cragmantoo wrote:

She should be draft card #1 for the frontlines of world war 3. Bet she has “bone spurs” like our fearless leader. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Ted Pinson wrote:

PC babies

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Tim Lutz wrote:

How dare you.....
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Deirdre · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 21

This is my favorite version of "Baby It's Cold Outside"

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Free Solo and Terra Incognita"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.