Mountain Project Logo

ski touring at mount charleston

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
Will Doucette wrote:

Spring 2018

Is there snow up there?

Rained yesterday at Lee

Mark T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Anyone think there is enough snow yet to attempt skiing from the actual Charleston Peak summit? I was thinking of trying via the South Loop trail, starting with boots/crampons and moving to skins when the snow allows. I have avalanche and skinning gear, but no harness or ropes. My tentative plan is to ski the main chute until it cliffs out and then climb/skin back up to the summit and ski back down the south loop trail to the car.

Does anyone have an experience on a similar route or input?

Thanks!
-Mark

Jonathan Zamora · · Henderson, NV · Joined May 2014 · Points: 10

Went to just above 7000 feet yesterday and only about an inch of snow and melting.  So I would not bet on it.

sqwirll · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,360
Jonathan Zamora wrote: Went to just above 7000 feet yesterday and only about an inch of snow and melting.  So I would not bet on it.

Considering that was about the snow line, that's not a shocker.  The Snotel gauge at Bristlecone is showing 14" of base, so I'm guessing there's probably 3' on the summit of Charleston.  You better have your avy game dialed if you go up there though.  The main chute has a huge starting zone that funnels into a slot canyon at the bottom.

Mark T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for the info!

I’ve hiked all around there in the summer, but haven’t ventured out in the winter yet. I think I have at least a general idea what to expect for travel other than the first third or so of the South Loop trail.

Hiking boots and crampons? Snowshoes? Or might the trail have enough snow to skin up it from the beginning? I know I’ll just have to go there and find out, just seeing if anyone has any relevant experience to help me plan equipment.

Thanks!
-Mark 

Alex Milhous · · Pyongyang, Korea · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Hey all, catching up on this thread and a few others that are pretty old. Moved to Vegas from Colorado, really interested in the local back country, I have a lot of winter mountaineering great but haven't applied it to snowboarding out here yet.

I'll check out lee canyon and do some scouting from there, but would love to compile gps pins/routes and then rehost it

Seperate question, Splitboard or snow shoes?

Joe Wysznski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 207
Alex Milhous wrote: Hey all, catching up on this thread and a few others that are pretty old. Moved to Vegas from Colorado, really interested in the local back country, I have a lot of winter mountaineering great but haven't applied it to snowboarding out here yet.

I'll check out lee canyon and do some scouting from there, but would love to [[]]compile gps pins/routes and then rehost it

Seperate question, Splitboard or snow shoes?
  • Go splitboard if you have one. Even with snow shoes you'll post hole past your knees. That becomes tiring quickly. Back country still needs another storm to fill in the big fallen trees in the chutes. It's looking good though 

Sean Mathis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I’m up there on the weekends.  I’m from Park City and moved here last year.  I Splitboard as well along with avi certs.  There is some decent low angle lines along bristlecone trail I’ve skinned recently with my dogs.  Love to meet up with anyone, feel free to give me shout. 801-300-9291.  Sean

MN norske · · Austin, MN · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150

Do bristlecone or Griffith this Saturday for splitboard session? I’m assuming both will be decent after these storms. Just looking for a rec. I just hope it stops dumping by Thursday.

MKGreen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Should be pretty good this weekend - I'll probably be getting out both days and plan to stay on some lower-angle terrain as avy risk might be high.  Send a PM if anyone is interested.

Sean Mathis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I’m down for a tour this weekend.  Daughters in ski school tomorrow so I will be going out the resort gates, if there open.  Sunday is no kid day for me, so pm me if you would like to meet up.  Sean 

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455

post up some pics for the rest of us!

Dsrt Dweller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Griffith peak yesterday. Deep and the hosemonster is in. Me, Angie, Mikey and JP. Great day out. Also 3 dudes doing some winter camping up there. The stoke was high.

Dsrt Dweller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
MN norske · · Austin, MN · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150
From bristlecone trailhead. Was good. Only ones out on Saturday.
5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Idk jack about avy conditions and snow scares the sh*t out of me, isn't it INCREDIBLY dangerous up their currently??

I hear how insane our backcountry avalanche danger is pretty regularly, but every time i have talked to someone who backcountry winter hikes or skis, they've never had an issue. But always relent how dangerous it is....

Are those beautiful snow chutes that line up and down mummy and charleston just Suicide chutes waiting to release??

Are those beautiful snow chutes that line up and down mummy and charleston just Suicide chutes waiting to release??

Yes...yes they are, often accompanied by high winds from the West blowing snow over the top to the visible east facing slope loading and unloading all the time.

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
Klimbien wrote:

Yes...yes they are, often accompanied by high winds from the West blowing snow over the top to the visible east facing slope loading and unloading all the time.

Buuuut when they’re in...... their sooooo good!

Big B wrote:

Buuuut when they’re in...... their sooooo good!

True, true, and true!

Christian Black · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 365

I’d be game for some low-avy risk ski touring if anyone wants a partner, I’ll be here until the end of April! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "ski touring at mount charleston"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started