Mountain Project Logo

North Carolina in December?

Original Post
NatejWeber · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Hi All,

I am traveling for work to Durham the week of Dec. 11, and am curious if there’s any local climbing in season within a reasonable driving distance? Also would love to sync up with potential partners. Been climbing for 5 years, trad for 2 of those. Leading 5.9s and follow harder. Thanks!

Nate

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Stone Mountain will be perfect. Sauratown as well, perhaps. Stone Mountain is a unique experience and unlike most other crags. Except for a handful of routes, you will need to bring your runout slab skills. It's fantastic climbing and an experience not to be missed.

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 662

Several options but weather is the big factor. We've had a lot more rain than normal lately so it's been screwing up my plans on a regular basis. I'll second Stone for big scary slab fun and Sauratown for a mix of sporty sport and some trad. Sauratown is generally quite a bit warmer when the sun is out but it can be pretty good on overcast days too. Check the Carolina Climbers Coalition page for a Sauratown guide. Lots of bouldering options too if you are into that sort of thing - Asheboro is the closest bet at around 1.5hrs but Sauratown isn't much further at 2hrs + 30 min or so hike in. Not really a world class destination or what I refer to as "classic NC" but Pilot Mountain is not a bad bet for your skill level and it's low commitment and close-ish (2hrs). It can be reasonably warm as well. 

NatejWeber · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Thanks Guys. If you're interested in climbing around that time, or know anyone who is, happy to trade some beer, a ride and and some catches.

Thanks again!

Michael Atlas · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 35

If you are around the weekend after, hit me up

Two one nine six six nine three five zero five

Rick Carpenter · · Marion, NC · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,315

Stone mtn moderates on sun (if dry)...HMU 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "North Carolina in December?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started