Mountain Project Logo

Siurana - Winter Accommodation Beta

Original Post
Dom Caron · · Welsford, New Brunswick Canada · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,370

Hi there. I'm going for a trip to Siurana for 16 days in January. I've never been there.
Going with the gf and my friend and his gf will be joining us. They live in Geneva and they will be driving down and picking us up in Barcelona. They plan to stay in their van. For a variety of reasons, my gf and I do not plan to stay in my friend's van.

Consequently, we need a place to stay in Siurana which is walking distance to the crags. The bungalow and/or apartment at Camping Siurana seem like a good bid. Any thoughts on those? The apartment says it has a bathroom.

Nights are going to be cool and we want to make sure we stay warm. How warm/cold are those buildings? Should we bring our sleeping bags?

A few weeks ago we go caught in a cold spell in El Salto, MX and froze our butts off in the evenings despite having a cabin with a fireplace. We want to avoid this in Spain.

Thanks for your help and Beta.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

For walking distance its either camping Siurana or a small hotel in town which will be far more expensive.

Adam Brink · · trying to get to Sardinia · Joined Mar 2001 · Points: 560

Walking distance is tough. I personally wouldn't go to Siurana without a car. You'll miss out on too much cool stuff.

Camping Siurana is really your only choice if you want to walk to the main crags. Why not rent a car in Barcelona (we got one for 52 euros for 3 weeks) and stay down in Cornudella. You'll be going down there for shopping and restaurants anyways (its only a 10 minute drive from Siurana). Also, there are other amazing crags in the area and villages to check out that you will want a car for.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Adam Brink wrote: Walking distance is tough. I personally wouldn't go to Siurana without a car. You'll miss out on too much cool stuff.

Camping Siurana is really your only choice if you want to walk to the main crags. Why not rent a car in Barcelona (we got one for 52 euros for 3 weeks) and stay down in Cornudella. You'll be going down there for shopping and restaurants anyways (its only a 10 minute drive from Siurana). Also, there are other amazing crags in the area and villages to check out that you will want a car for.

^this. 

We found an Airbnb in Cornudella when we were there two years ago, there were multiple choices, and it was worth it. There is also a hostel in Cornudella. 

Thank you for yours answers although my question was how are the accommodations in Siurana? Does anyone know? Also, how cold is it in January down there?

Dom wrote: Thank you for yours answers although my question was how are the accommodations in Siurana? Does anyone know? Also, how cold is it in January down there?

Ryan above already mentioned the accommodation options in Siurana itself. The refugio (Ciriac Bonet), the little hotel (Hotel La Siuranella) and Camping&Bungalow Siurana.

I would expect daytime in the 50s, and nighttime in the low 30s, though it can go colder than that. When we were there in December/January there was one week of inversion weather, where the lower parts of the Siurana were sitting in dense fog, covering all of the best crags, and the temps in the fog were below freezing. There were couple days with high in the 40s, even in the sun, and a few days of high in the 60s. Climbing in the sun was pleasant throughout the trip, but you had to go to places other than Siurana.

When Siurana was in that fog inversion, La Mussara and Montsant were perfect. 

Adam Brink · · trying to get to Sardinia · Joined Mar 2001 · Points: 560

I was in Siurana last January and the weather is highly variable. Some days are climbable and some days are freezing cold. The real problem is the wind, which can nuke for weeks at a time. We had 12 days in a row that were unclimbable due to the wind and freezing cold. During those days it is best to head to the north for more sheltered climbing. However, if you don't have a car, you would be hosed. 

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Spain was so amazing that I couldn’t imagine being there for 16 days and only going to one place. Car rentals are cheaper over there than here. Camping Siurana is cool and has a cool restaurant/cafe there too and my guess is that you could rent 3 cars for the difference in price between the hotel in town and camping Siurana.

Thanks for the response.  Guys I have access to a van... Read initial post. But when I'm on vacation I'd rather do everything by foot - as much as I can. So I appreciate the beta for surrounding areas as well. Thanks!

BTW, just got an E-mail that a new Siurana guidebook is now available.

See here

posting here in case someone sees this when doing a search.

The cabins at Siurana Camping were lovely and warm. Absolutely recommended. As for going carless in Siurana, it is completely doable. All crags are within reasonable walking distance (i.e. 2 to 30 mins) from the camping and the town of Cornudella is only a 4km lovely hike down an amazing path.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Siurana - Winter Accommodation Beta"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started