Mountain Project Logo

Crack grades at Momentum Sandy?

Original Post
Snow Flake · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I know, I know, crack difficulty varies by hand size, but the I am curious nonetheless: the easier cracks at the Momentum in Sandy have plates that listed their grades once upon a time, but have long since worn away. Anyone know what they were? On the somewhat thinner hand crack on the wall that faces the front I think I can make out 5.11, but the hand/fist cracks around either corner from that one are totally illegible. Anyone know or want to guess at their grades? 5.10something?

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

The thin hands crack facing the front desk is 5.11. To the right, there are two .10- hand cracks and another 5.11 thin hands in the corner. To the left there is a 5.10 big hands crack, and a .10+ fist crack, which is actually harder than any of the 11s. 

C Archibolt wrote: The thin hands crack facing the front desk is 5.11. To the right, there are two .10- hand cracks and another 5.11 thin hands in the corner. To the left there is a 5.10 big hands crack, and a .10+ fist crack, which is actually harder than any of the 11s. 

Awesome, thanks a million. 

Ryan Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 751

I've wondered about this for a while... what would the consensus be if these cracks were outside?  My votes: 10+ corner, 5.8, 5.8 hand cracks facing the windows, 5.10+ thin hands facing the front, 5.10+ right wide crack, 5.11 left wide crack.  Then maybe 5.11 "changing corners" crack immediately to the left of the chimney.  The others I can't do, except the lead overhanging crack switch route, which I'd give 5.11 also.  I have small hands so my favorite is the thin hands crack.

Lucas Ulmer · · Salt Lake City · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Tangentially related question: some dude told me there’s a replica of Bellyful of Bad Berries at one of the Momentum gyms. Is this true?

Lucas Ulmer wrote: Tangentially related question: some dude told me there’s a replica of Bellyful of Bad Berries at one of the Momentum gyms. Is this true?

Sandy has a heinous overhanging offwidth, that must be what they're referring to.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Josh B wrote:

Sandy has a heinous overhanging offwidth, that must be what they're referring to.

Zac Robinson · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 415
Brian in SLC wrote:

At least there is proof that I was a climber.

Sit ups all winter and let's give it a go in the spring!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Crack grades at Momentum Sandy?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started