Mountain Project Logo

current valley conditions

Original Post
Vik Waghray · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

anybody know what climbing conditions are like in yosemite valley at the moment? 

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Survey says: kinda cold. nps.gov/customcf/webcam/dsp…

Unk Gh · · The world · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Fake news. Its super dry, warm and nice out. I mean its winter after all. That's prime climbing season in the valley. 

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

looks like white sands, bikinis, and fruity rum drinks

Zeb Martin · · San Francisco · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Everett wrote: Survey says: kinda cold. nps.gov/customcf/webcam/dsp…

Looking at this at 3 am, I don't know what I expected

Vik Waghray · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

i'm well aware of the season and weather, i was just wondering if there are any specific areas that could be dry enough for climbing after a day or two of sun exposure

I'd be interested in the accessibility of fish crack if anyone has gandered down that way

Julian Bigi · · Sunnyvale · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

I climbed at 5 and dime today. It was t shirt weather in the sun from about 10am onward; rock was dry. Generator Crack and Conductor crack were dry as well, though of course cooler in the shade. Reeds looked great with folks on Reeds Direct and Beyond Lunacy. I wasn't in the Cascade Falls area, though, so I don't know about Fish Crack.

Fish crack was climbable this weekend. bit more rockhopping around the creek to get there though.

Tony L · · San Carlos · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 832

Arch Rock was in perfect shape on Sunday by about 9AM. Some snow patches on the ground higher up canyon on the valley floor.

Beware of poison oak. My partner got PO at Arch, possibly due to PO smoke(?) deposits on the first pitch of New Dimensions. Not sure if that's possible. We didn't see any PO all day.

Mike Arechiga · · Oakhurst, CA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 5,154

I climbed in the Valley yesterday, nice in the sun cold in the shade, lots of road work on highway 140 and smokey in the Valley do to control burning, but all in all best time on the year to go to the Valley to climb, happy climbing Mike A.

Trevor Salom · · San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 7
Tony Lobay wrote:Beware of poison oak. My partner got PO at Arch, possibly due to PO smoke(?) deposits on the first pitch of New Dimensions. Not sure if that's possible. We didn't see any PO all day.

I don’t know about poison oak smoke residue, but in winter poison oak will lose its leaves, leaving just the vine, which is much harder to spot and still causes a rash.

Climbing Ivy · · NAZ · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 290

Hopping on the thread here calling all valley prime time (aka winter months) climbing connoisseurs!

Cross posting for partners this weeķ - Dec 19-21:
Anyone is free to catch some warm climbing on dry rock this week?!

Forecast is looking warm and dry for Yos mid week. Looking for a solid partner to swing leads on gear. Got all the gear, valley experience and stoke - just need a partner who can swing climbing middle of the week, Wed-Friday (19-21). Open to objectives. Please DM to connect.

Happy day,
Climbing Ivy

Mike Arechiga · · Oakhurst, CA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 5,154

I will be in the Valley this Thursday if you need a belay of someone to climb with, thinking of going to Pat & Jack or Five & Dime, be warm and happy at those places, more then welcome to get a catch from me, happy climbing Mike A. ps tried to pm you but would not work.

Climbing Ivy · · NAZ · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 290

Hi Mike, PM sent.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "current valley conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started