Mountain Project Logo

Dominican Republic climbing

Original Post
Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

Anyone here been there and Climbed? Going for 3 months leaving Oct 5th to work and climb! 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Jeffrey Constine wrote:  Anyone here been there and Climbed? Going for 3 months leaving Oct 5th to work and climb! 

Paging the DK (Darren Knezek).

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392

You should know about the situation with the bolts down there before you go.   Basically, any stainless steel bolt older than 18 months should not be trusted.  They are rebolting with titanium but I don't know how much progress they've made.   I've put some links below that will hopefully allow you to contact the right people.   Looks like you could take bolting supplies (Ti bolts, glue, etc.) with you, donate money to the cause or donate your skilled labor.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112445034/volunteers-needed-for-re-bolting-in-the-dominican-republic
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111666751/re-bolting-corroded-hardware-in-the-dominican-republic-playa-fronton

Oh, by the way, October is still hurricane season.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

I will be working with one of the Local climbers while I am there, on a Netflix Show. Don't know the person's name yet details coming soon.

PS 22 years Exp climbing in Thailand, I know all about bad bolts. Bringing a TON of Titanium glue-in's

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Jeffrey Constine wrote: 
PS 22 years Exp climbing in Thailand, I know all about bad bolts. Bringing a TON of Titanium glue-in's

Excellent!  

cashmab · · Boston · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,923
Jeffrey Constine wrote: I will be working with one of the Local climbers while I am there, on a Netflix Show. Don't know the person's name yet details coming soon.

I just stumbled upon this thread. As one of the two main people leading the rebolting in the DR, I'm curious to know more about your plans. PM me if you'd like or email cashmang@yahoo.com

Tier Lester · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

I was in Dominicana once, and regret missing the opportunity to visit the Indigenous Eyes and the Duarte. It was Punta Cana most of the time. My wife isn't much of a climber and we had our marriage ceremony there. Which were great, check the photos www.pinkfilm.org/. But I still want to revisit the place. And by the way, is there some way of converting wife and kinds into climbers?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Dominican Republic climbing "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started