Mountain Project Logo

FS: Freestanding Toddler Climbing Wall / Woody (PDX)

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Sean Christopherson · · Portland, OR · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
$150 - Pick-up in Portland, OR

My daughter has outgrown her training woody, time to find it a new home.  Perfect for a kiddo 18 months or younger, ~3 years old is when my daughter was able to cheat everything in two moves.  Get 'em hooked on climbing before they can walk.  :-)

The woody is a rock-solid freestanding 15 degree slab with outer dimensions of 73.5h x 49w x 18d.  There is a 45w x 6.5h slot at the bottom so you can easily slide a crash pad in for protection.  The frame is made of 2x4s joined with pocket holes.  The main wall is 48w x 70h and is made of 3/4" plywood with 3-hole t-nuts set in an 8" offset pattern.  The sides are 1/4" paneling and are smooth enough for teaching arete climbing.  The wall has sufficient mass to prevent tipping for any climber under 50lbs; at 150lbs I have to deliberately lean back to tilt the wall.

Includes 4 replacement t-nuts and 33 holds from Atomik Climbing ranging from foot jibs to full-on jugs (with ~30 bolts).  Crash pad not included.

Freshly Minted:

Crash pad folded up and secured to dissuade free soloing:

Climb on!

Setting a Project:

Back:

T-nuts:

Bottom:
Niall Peters · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

This is just awesome

M P · · Somewhere in the desert · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 356

This is amazing. 

ephrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

I'm super interested in this for my little boy; it's gorgeous! Is it still available?

Joe Z. · · Prairie du Sac, WI · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 120

Nice wall!  Can I see some more pictures of that rope chair!

@ephrat - Still available, sent you a PM.

@Joe - Send me a PM, I'll email pictures and specs (if you want) of the chair when I get a chance.

MattWallace · · Center Harbor, NH · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 8,752
Sean Christopherson wrote: @ephrat - Still available, sent you a PM.

@Joe - Send me a PM, I'll email pictures and specs (if you want) of the chair when I get a chance.
Sean, if you could send the rope chair specs to me too, I would be stoked!
Gunks . · · Gunks, NY · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 195
Sean Christopherson wrote: @ephrat - Still available, sent you a PM.

Me three for the rope chair specs.  Thanks.

Kevin Foote · · MONTANA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

@sean

Is the wall your design?
Can you share build list on that?
Too far to pick up or I would.

Kai Huang · · Aurora, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 105
Kevin Foote wrote: @sean

Is the wall your design?
Can you share build list on that?
Too far to pick up or I would.

Same here.  How about let's build 2 while we are at it?

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Still available? I’m local!

I uploaded full res pictures and SketchUp models for both the chair and wall: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UfSA6DCL1oDS8M4OYfUqLrv_sztcMaz-?usp=sharing

My dad and brother made the rope chair as a wedding gift.  My understanding is they eyeballed the design based on pictures they found online.  Apparently figuring out how to weave the rope required a fair amount of trial and error.  If I were to change anything I would drop the front cross by ~2", though I created the model using the actual dimensions.  The angle/drop of the seat is great, but the bar itself is a bit high and prevents your feet from comfortably touching the round, e.g. the bar cuts into the back of your knees unless your feet are resting on something.

The wall is my own design.  I think the only thing that isn't documented in the model is the extra strip of 3/4" plywood I added to the feet to raise the height in order to make it easier to slide the crash pad in/out.

Let me know if you have any questions, want more pictures uploaded, etc..

Delayed bump, still available.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started