Mountain Project Logo

Ice conditions

Original Post
Charlie Daniel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Cheers y’all...anybody seen anything forming around east TN/ Western NC/ North GA? There are seeps and ground water starting to freeze here in the hills of Chattanooga but nothing even remotely considered climbable ice. Wondering if Whitesides or Winding Stair are coming in? PM me if you know anything good or wanna explore. Namaste. 

Jeff Mekolites · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5,250

Heard some stuff was just starting to form at Hog Pen, Whiteside and 215. 

shannon stegg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

On the last day of November, Dylan Valvo and Jeff Cort climbed 5 routes at Hog Pen Gap. Last Friday Dylan and I climbed "Coyote Ugly" on Whitesides just before the weather fell out. If you did not get out yesterday or today, you are probably out of luck until the next cold spell. 

Rad. Thanks Shannon. Didn’t get out of Chattanooga this time unfortunately. Maybe next time. Headed to California later today to surf Swamis in Encinitas and ski Big Bear so it could be worse I suppose. Thanks again for the info man. Namaste. 

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790

got three days in at 215 so far. but I am certain that ice has fallen down.  watch the weather, when it dips into the teens or 20s every night for a week you can start gittin after it. would like to explore this hog pen gap some time if anyone needs a partner?

Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56

any updated info?

only in the 30s at night right now.  is it even worth the effort, or better doing another polar vortex dance

Jim I suspect they’ll be ice for the gettin in the mountains of N. GA and western NC after this spell of precipitation and sustained cold that’s anticipated. Just so happens I’m off most of next week. If you need a partner hit me up. Namaste. 

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790
Mostly in
Toast ! · · Colorado · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I'm relocating to central NC from Colorado and I am also in search of ice.  If anyone wants a partner and knows where we can find the ice pleaee let me know.  Unfortunately weekends are probably the only time I will be able to get out. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Ice conditions "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started