Mountain Project Logo

Tools and techniques.

Original Post
Shawn Snyder · · Bishop CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

Some of the tools that were used on to bolt or not to be.  Lefts see photos of  what your working with. Let's make sure  that all the dedicated hard-working rebolters  have the techniques,tools,and skills they need To do there job right. 

Cabot Steward · · Smog Lake City · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2

Have a picture of the old ones and the new ones, still in the rock?

Cabot Steward wrote:
Have a picture of the old ones and the new ones, still in the rock?

The drop-in’s we’re on the lower half from JB.  The wedge anchors were the top half from Allen.  The glue ins are what’s there now. 

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9

Really tidy glue-in anchor installation.

Francis Haden wrote: Really tidy glue-in anchor installation.

Thank you sir.  Now if we can only get other  installers to pay attention to detail and take pride in their work we would be all right.   Again much obliged sir. 

Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,546

For any extra glue that spills out while installing, what are you using to clean up the bolt?

Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,546
Anonymous wrote:

We use any old rag.

That’s what I’ve been doing, but thought I’d ask since some of Shawn’s look like a wet rag or spray bottle had been used

Drew Nevius wrote:

That’s what I’ve been doing, but thought I’d ask since some of Shawn’s look like a wet rag or spray bottle had been used

The reason you see wet  spots is  because I always wash the bolt and Rock off with water when I’m done. I have a brush for  cleaning the dust out of the hole, I have a brush to wipe excess glue off the walls and a brush  that’s dedicated to Scott who died at  Owens river gorge 2015. Scott’s brush is only used for the  final clean out.   If anybody here would like to learn  The basics about Bolting  correctly or removing bolts correctly  please reach out.  I would head out to the park and do a demonstration anytime.  

Rich Farnham · · Nederland, CO · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 297
Shawn Snyder wrote:

The reason you see wet  spots is  because I always wash the bolt and Rock off with water when I’m done. I have a brush for  cleaning the dust out of the hole, I have a brush to wipe excess glue off the walls and a brush  that’s dedicated to Scott who died at  Owens river gorge 2015. Scott’s brush is only used for the  final clean out.   If anybody here would like to learn  The basics about Bolting  correctly or removing bolts correctly  please reach out.  I would head out to the park and do a demonstration anytime.  

Make a Youtube video if you take someone out.  That way we can share best practices wider than person-to-person.

Nice work BTW.  
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to " Tools and techniques. "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started