Mountain Project Logo

Rain protection with mulitple layer of DWR.

Original Post
Thanh Truong · · Calgary, AB · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Thinking of ways to lighten my daypack for day trips into the high alpine.  I currently carry 2-3 insulation layer plus "waterproof".  Now, the few time that I did put my waterproof stuff on I still gets wet from rain coming in from the hood and creeping up my sleeves (only when I use poles).  I am thinking of just ditching my waterproof stuff since I still get wet.  

Has anybody here hike in the high alpine with a couple of layers of insulation (not fleece, I am referring to puffy) with a backpack in moderate rain for a few hours?  Or is this a very bad idea?  

Again only day trip, not overnight trip.

Thanks in advance.

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

Depends on your tolerance for cold! Bring an extra layer(s) so you can change into dry clothing in case get too cold. Synthetic insulation would work better than down due to moisture.

Notch The Dog · · Reno, NV · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Many (most?) insulation layers will have a DWR coating that will shed moisture up to a point. After 2-3 hours you’ll mostly likely be getting wet though. Synthetic pieces will insulate better when wet but that’s not really the same as being dry.

If your problem is moisture dripping down your neck/sleeves I’m not sure how hiking in just a mid layer would solve that. If it were me I’d probably stick with the rain shell and crank down the Velcro at the cuffs and drawcord at the hood. 

Thanh Truong · · Calgary, AB · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

I should clarify here, I am not looking to be 100% dry in the high alpine when it rain, I find that to be nearly impossible outside of an astronaut suit.  Near ridge, summit, and at exposed area in the high alpine the rain feels like it going sideways because of the high wind.   So your face will be wet, the wet flow down and will eventually get your base layer wet.  You can delay it with neck gaiter (wringing it every some often) and tighten the drawcord, but under sustain rain, it's only a matter of time.  Waterproof glove needs to have the cuff going over or under my jacket's cuff and when I move my hands up it down all the time while I am moving through the rocks, water will eventually make it's way to my wrist.  

I figure since I have no choice under sustain rain, I might as well drop the rain layer behind and just put on two synthetic puffy since they still have some insulation value while they are wet. I am just curious if any of you guys have done this and what the result was.

Brent D · · New England · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 279

If you’re talking about enough rain to be making its way past your waterproof layer, that amount o rain is going to drench any insulation layer by itself. Trapesing around in a slightly damp layer is much different than two drenched layers. If temperatures are an issue in the slightest, wet layers are going to draw heat away from your body much faster, no matter the material.

It really just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Rain protection with mulitple layer of DWR."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started