Mountain Project Logo

Looking to go climb some were near north Florida

Original Post
Antonio Cardona · · yulee, florida · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I've been living in the north fla area for a year and still haven't had time to get out. I have a couple days off soon, looking for some were near to go explore in Georgia do some hiking maybe bouldering ,  I'm a outdoor v4 max climber and I trad lead 5.6s "gunks" and sport around 5.10. Im a disabled vet , who hasnt really meet many people who live in my area who climb. if you can suggest solo exploring or fun rock scrambles that would be awesome or maybe link up with some people.  Hope to hear from someone .
Antonio 

Wes Whitaker · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 126

Hey man, hope I can be helpful. Your best bet may be Sandrock in Alabama. I know people from Fla get up there regularly. There will be crowds there. In Ga, you can go for Boat Rock, Yonah or Currahee - BR is a classic bouldering spot; Currahee and Yonah both have some decent roped climbing and will likely have one or two parties that could point you in the right direction. In SC, there’s Big Rock - it’s becoming quite popular for all styles of climbing. Other than that, you might want to drive two hours further north from ATL into Chattanooga. Any of the spots there (TWall, Sunset, Fosters) will keep you busy for hours. Good luck buddy. Have a blast... bring warm clothes. 

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

If you're coming from the Jacksonville area, Rumbling Bald in North Carolina is actually closer than most of the other areas in the southeast. 95 to 26 pretty much takes you straight there. Rumbling Bald is warm in the winter, offers world-class bouldering, great multi-pitch trad, and a little bit of sport here and there. Also lots of hiking and other outdoorsy stuff to do around there.

And if you like beer, the Sierra Nevada brewery in Mills River is just a little bit out of your way -- but well worth a visit!

Antonio Cardona · · yulee, florida · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will be planning soon! 

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

And if you like more local beer, hickory nut gorge brewery is right next to the good Mexican restaurant right down the road from Rumbling Bald. 

Chris J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I second Brian's suggestion 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Looking to go climb some were near north Florida "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started