Mountain Project Logo

To-do List Before Astroman

Original Post
Tim Young · · Pennsylvania · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 41

Looking for peoples opinions on a good selection of climbs to have under ones belt before doing Astroman in Yosemite. For those of you who have done Astroman, what grades were you climbing before doing it, and what routes did you do that best prepared you?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Tim Young wrote: Looking for peoples opinions on a good selection of climbs to have under ones belt before doing Astroman in Yosemite. For those of you who have done Astroman, what grades were you climbing before doing it, and what routes did you do that best prepared you?

I've never done Astroman, but it's literally my biggest goal in climbing/life, so I've done some research and asking around.

Alex Honnold told me that the Rostrum is a good climb to do before Astroman.

You may also want to check out the PDF intro to The Road to Astroman (which apparently is no longer in existence, except for the intro).
Dave Meyer · · Santa Barbara · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 270

Steck-Salathe, Rostrum, voyager, Moratorium, and Book of Job are all Valley routes that should feel relatively smooth before you hop on Astroman. That said, it didn't live up to the intimidating reputation that it has. The move into the harding slot is difficult but after you're in, if you're an averaged sized male it isn't too bad. The last pitch is serious and if you're not feeling it at the end of the day its not easy to bail. Be solid on Valley 5.11 before you hop on it.

ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 481

Haven't done it, but you could do the first three pitches (Astroboy).

CO_Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 956

This again

http://www.supertopo.com/topos/roadtoastro_intro.pdf

Rostrum and all at the Cookie

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "To-do List Before Astroman"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started