Mountain Project Logo

2019 La Sportiva Olympus Mons Triple Boot

Original Post
Sterling Falconer · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Description: 

La Sportiva solves a problem for serious mountaineers with its Olympus Mons triple boot. Not only is this boot remarkably warm with three different layers of insulation (picture two booties inside the shell that can be removed), but the mountaineering boot are also compatible with pin-tech bindings. That means long ski approaches for technical alpine missions just got easier. The La Sportiva Olympus Mons launches next winter season for $1,400.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Can you elaborate on this weird triple boot construction?

that guy named seb wrote: Can you elaborate on this weird triple boot construction?

Three boots, one foot.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

The addition of the pin-tech bindings compatibility is moot. The vast majority of people using this boot have no need to use skis. There are exception like those on Denali or Antarctica. If Sportiva wanted to make an impact the compatibility should be on the G2 or G5. The price point is ridiculous compared to similar boots.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Allen Sanderson wrote: The price point is ridiculous compared to similar boots.

The price is moot, no one who is buying this boot is on a strict budget and will always tell them selves "how much are my toes worth?".

It's possible we will see a face lift for the g2sm next year though from the looks of the binding it would add allot of bulk and would get in the way for technical climbing which from what i have heard g2sm is best in class.
diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

No one is wearing that boot for a technical alpine mission.
I don’t see the value of the tech binding with that boot. Maybe in Antarctica. The only reason to wear oly mons on Denali is if you already own them.
Are there any 8k peaks that require any amount of ski approach?
My guess is that this is a test for possible introduction elsewhere in their line. The oly mons is the only boot which is naturally fat enough to build it in. Will be interesting to see if and how they incorporate this into other boots. Enlarging the toe may be detrimental to the performance of the more technical gear. 

Andrew Blease · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 470

Does anyone know if it has the heel fitting as well, or just the toes? 

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240

That's still a 40% price increase from the previous version, regardless of the customer. Can only imagine the ski bindings are for Antarctica and such.

This is the only information Sportiva has given to the public.

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

Well.......

There will be a lot more bootless corpses in the Himalayas.

Or Everest is soon to be a bunny slope.

Or Sportiva and Hoka are owned by the same Capital Management consortium????????  Those soles!!

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Allen Sanderson wrote: The addition of the pin-tech bindings compatibility is moot. The vast majority of people using this boot have no need to use skis. There are exception like those on Denali or Antarctica. If Sportiva wanted to make an impact the compatibility should be on the G2 or G5. The price point is ridiculous compared to similar boots.

Totally agree-- would love to see a G2 or g5 that you could ski approach on. They make skimo boots that climb okay, they should make mountaineering boots that ski okay...

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55
Sterling Falconer wrote: That means long ski approaches for technical alpine missions just got easier. 

Pretty sure technical alpine missions are NOT in the future for a triple boot with a Hoka sole.

I'll stick with an actual ski boot and cache it with my skis for now.  Especially for $1,400.
Matt S · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

What brand is the boot in that pic, I can't quite tell?

Matt S. wrote: What brand is the boot in that pic, I can't quite tell?

Can't you see it says Scarpa! 

Jeffrey L · · Hillsdale, NJ · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5
Matt S. wrote: What brand is the boot in that pic, I can't quite tell?

Poortiva, maybe.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Allen Sanderson wrote: The addition of the pin-tech bindings compatibility is moot. The vast majority of people using this boot have no need to use skis. 

This makes me wonder--how many pairs of 8000M boots get sold a year? I would guess 1000 pairs, max. If 10% of their clientele is using them in the artic, then maybe not such a bad decision... 

Extreme lightweight, contained volumes, precise and comfort fi t
› Maximum thermal insulation thanks to the use of a combination of different materials
› It is the fi rst boot on the market with the attachment points for the skialp binding thanks to the inserts that are compatible with tech bindings: ideal for arctic crossing with skis and skins (Rear attachment not provided)
› Combination of Vibram® Litebase and Vibram® MorFlex® Expanded EVA for maximum lightweight, abrasion resistance and thermal insulation.

Tech Info:

Gaiter: water repellent, stretch Cordura® + extremely high abrasion resistant fabric with UltraSonic Welding technology and internal heat sealing + inner water repellent gusset
Inner shell: High tenacity Nylon uppers + PE with different densities + thermo-refl ective aluminium
Lacing: Double Boa® Fit System in the upper part and in the lower part of the shell for differentiated lacing
Removable double bootie: high cut outer layer: 6 mm PE + EVA Single Density with Flex Zone and double Velcro closure low cut inner layer: 4 mm PE + EVA Single Density
Insole: Insulating carbon HoneyComb 3 mm + Gold Insulation Aerogel 3 mm by PrimaLoft®
Midsole: TPU 2 mm polyurethane with differentiated thickness at the toe and heel for attaching the crampon + front insert for tech skialp binding
Sole: Combination of Vibram® Litebase and Vibram® MorFlex® Expanded EVA for maximum lightweight, abrasion resistance and thermal insulation
Patents: Registered design.

Construction:
› Super-clean and seamless thanks to the internal thermo-taping and the innovative UltraSonic Welding technology that allows materials to be joined together without stitching

› Corner Zip™ that runs along the full length of the gaiter and allows full opening and direct access to the regulation of the internal Boa® Fit System lacing

› Double removable, extremely thermal bootie

› Double Boa® Fit System for differentiated lacing between the upper and lower part of the internal shell, designed for use with gloves

› The lower Boa® Fit System is directly connected to an internal front gusset that improves the overall water repellence

› Attachment points for the skialp binding thanks to the inserts that are compatible with tech bindings: ideal for arctic crossing with skis and skins.
AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

Ugly as hell, but probably top-of-the-line for high-altitude mountaineering.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "2019 La Sportiva Olympus Mons Triple Boot"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started