Mountain Project Logo

Things to do in Denver in December.

Original Post
Lothian Buss · · Durango, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

Hey - If I'm in Denver on 12/14, and I have until 12/19, what would be good? backcountry ice? is it too early for skiing?

What would you guys recommend to an out of towner?

Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50

Plenty of ice in RMNP, and elsewhere. Skiing should be good - places are opening early. 

A/T and backcountry skiing? straight frontcountry? who knows?

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

climb. plenty of areas warm enough in winter to climb outside.

William P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
T G wrote:

Folks have been skinning and skiing the backcountry here for a few weeks now. Some spots are thin as it's still early, other places are better. Check out Butler Gulch and a few of the areas within Rocky Mtn National Park and Indian Peaks wilderness.

+1 for Butler Gulch or Jones Pass. Got some nice powder turns last Sunday.

Rando Calrissian · · Denver · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 45

People are AT skiing even now in CO. I still think its a pinch to light on snow here currently. You might check the trees in Jones and Butlers Gulch. same parking lot for both, they seem to be decent early season areas in my experience. You could also do laps in RMNP at Hidden Valley. You will need to seriously check the avy reports from CAIC. It will be pretty cold and the layers won't be mixing well at that time. Let me know if you're looking to get out, my touring fitness ain't so hot right now but I'd do a day out there

William P wrote:

+1 for Butler Gulch or Jones Pass. Got some nice powder turns last Sunday.

if you don't know the area, going here solo can be a little daunting. in jones, there are plenty of slide paths above the main meadow...including one that cross the road and is not obvious. same in butler. 

William P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
curt86iroc wrote:

if you don't know the area, going here solo can be a little daunting. in jones, there are plenty of slide paths above the main meadow...including one that cross the road and is not obvious. same in butler. 

This ain't Berthoud or Loveland Pass. Going solo into any backcountry ski area can be daunting. With the slope angles in these areas, I don't recommend solo travel; or even group travel if you haven't practiced using a beacon, probe, and shovel; and somedays, the conditions are a complete no-go. I did jump to the assumption that OP was well-versed and -practiced in BC skiing.

William P wrote:

This ain't Berthoud or Loveland Pass. Going solo into any backcountry ski area can be daunting. With the slope angles in these areas, I don't recommend solo travel; or even group travel if you haven't practiced using a beacon, probe, and shovel; and somedays, the conditions are a complete no-go. I did jump to the assumption that OP was well-versed and -practiced in BC skiing.

i hear ya...

Thats awesome beta guys.

Well versed is a stretch -  but I've got the avy tools, taken the class, have practiced, and do ski in (limited) avalanche terrain out east. Our layers consolidate very quickly though.

I'll be looking to ski and climb backcountry ice on 12/15, 16 and 17 if conditions allow. My ideal would probably be a rambling WI3 to easy 4 deep in the backcountry, and a couple days of mellow touring.

Rando - I'll pm you about skiing closer to the dates and see if you still want to get out.

Anyone else who's down to ski or ice climb in the backcountry those days, feel free to hit me up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Things to do in Denver in December."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started