Mountain Project Logo

Moving to Phoenix - Recommendations needed/welcomed

Original Post
Matt M · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 1

Hey - as the title says, I am moving to Phoenix soon for a new job. I am pretty much going in blind. I will be working about 10 minutes south of the airport, and haven't locked down an apartment yet.

I am looking for any climbing and non-climbing recommendations/advice.

Such as your favorite climbing gym? Favorite local crags/climbs? Areas to live? Restaurants? Etc. Thanks!

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

Hey Matt!

Phoenix is actually a pretty nice area for climbing despite what some people on mp will tell you.

Within a two hour drive you can get to Sedona (sandstone towers), Flagstaff (lots of excellent single pitch trad and sport, check out the waterfall in oak creek canyon), Tucson (Mt. Lemmon!!!), the Homestead (sport climbing), Isolation Canyon, and many more.

A little further away is Cochise stronghold, and then further still Zion / Moab are within reasonable range for long weekend trips.

In the Phoenix area the Superstition Mountains and Queens Creek Canyon are my favorite spots (both less than an hour from Phoenix). Queens creek has lots of sport climbing with easy approaches, 5.5-5.13. The Superstitions have lots of fun multi pitch routes (check out Field of Dreams). Less fun but still decent IMO are the mcdowell mountains and pinnacle peak.

For bouldering you can check out south mountain, beardsley boulders, or camelback mountain. Camelback has some choosy boulders and sport routes but it's right in the center of the city.
Basically you have lots of good options for a full day of climbing, slightly less if you only have a half day to get out.

PM me if you are looking for a partner, I'd be happy to get out with you! We're in prime climbing season right now for AZ

Scott M. McNamara · · Presidio San Augustine Del… · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

It may be useful to find a place to live (and a gym) close to your work (all other things being equal) or on a bus line that goes near where you work.

Phoenix traffic can be unpleasant.

While there is lots of amazing climbing, at least in the summer, you will be driving to climb at a reasonable temperature.

I second that SteelMonkey would  be a good resource.  At least some part of the time he lives in Phoenix.  ​http://www.supertopo.com/inc/view_profile.php?dcid=MDs4Pjg5PA,,​​​

Have fun!

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

#1.... don't live in PHX.  Yuck, Blah, Hot

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

I work in Phoenix during the week and enjoy the Camelback / paradise valley area (not sure how home prices or apartments are there). Close to a few parks for evening hikes or runs up mtns. Black Rock bouldering gym is a great gym in the area. 

Scott M. McNamara · · Presidio San Augustine Del… · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

What is the best piece of equipment a Phoenix climber can own?

A fast car.

(Roughly paraphrasing, Galen Rowell, RIP.)

Jack Kelly · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 155

...following...

My in-laws recently moved to Phoenix, which means I now have to occasionally leave North Carolina to fulfill relationship duty. But! I have recieved assurances that I can slip away for a day on each visit. So if anyone wants a partner for a random day in the second week of January, let me know. Psyched on moderate trad, but I enjoy pretty much every discipline.

Matt M · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 1

I really appreciate the replies, and big shout out to Greg for such a detailed response. This is very helpful. I am glad to hear that I won't have to necessarily drive out too far for some decent climbing, but of course will because the short road trips will give access to world class stuff.

To those that offered to climb together, I will definitely be reaching out once I move in December.

Thanks for the friendly welcome!

Charlie Schmidt · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

As far as gyms go Phoenix Rock Gym is solid and people seem to like Focus (bouldering gym). I haven't tried the others but haven't heard anything good about them.

As the others have mentioned, there is great climbing a few hours away in any direction. The stuff in/near phoenix isn't so great.

Tempe is a decent place to live. Plenty of places to go out, louder party scene near ASU/Mill Ave or quite suburbia a few miles south, home to PRG and Four Peaks Brewery.  Downsides are it's central, which makes it slightly harder to escape town on weekends and housing can be a bit expense for what you get.  Also consider south mountain area for access to the trails.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Moving to Phoenix - Recommendations needed/welc…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started