Mountain Project Logo

Post Awesome Trad Movies Here

Sam B · · KY · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 15

Dave MacLeod is the man. This is probably been posted before here but I love this video. If you haven't seen the full movie, Transitions, I highly recommend it.

Andrew Stegs · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 0

Hope this hasn't been posted yet:

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

^^^So worthy.

This one is pretty sweet but I'm having trouble posting it for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=DdYhzgaPeXk

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

SWEET!

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Mark Hughes · · Bozeman · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Might not be a trad movie, but damn is it bold.

Joshua Longo · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

This is probably already posted ( I didn't read thru 49 pgs to confirm). Even so, its worth posting again.
youtube.com/watch?v=W2ga4SVOyTI

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

this definitely qualifies

knowbuddy Buddy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 225

I love the tc pro/solution shoe combo!

that guy named seb wrote: this definitely qualifies

Yosemite Myth is overblown....:P

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I love Ondra's mental strength. When he falls, he yells, "It's f-ing hundred million degrees!" But in the commentary later, he says, "I think even if I had better conditions I would still definitely fall off in those [...] few last moves right at the anchor of that pitch."

It's comforting to see that the mental aspects of this sport still apply to the strongest climbers. It's easy to blame outside stuff (like conditions) for our failures, but in the end those are just part of the challenge we're trying to surmount, and surmounting that challenge is the entire point. So even if our momentary emotion is to blame the challenges, we have to come back, admit we didn't have what it took to surmount the challenges, and work to get stronger.
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
knowbuddy Buddy wrote: I love the tc pro/solution shoe combo!

I'd love to know the exact reasoning, jamming with his tc Pro and mostly smearing with his solutions is my guess I guess its a flairing jamming lay back. 

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

I was thinking "hmm this is different than most Ondra videos... I haven't heard any screaming yet. Oh, nvm there we go!" The headwall crack looked so flaring in spots. 

At 2:30, was his belayer just using the rope grab to keep some easily feeding slack readily available? 
James Donigan · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 30
stolo wrote:

I was thinking "hmm this is different than most Ondra videos... I haven't heard any screaming yet. Oh, nvm there we go!" The headwall crack looked so flaring in spots. 

At 2:30, was his belayer just using the rope grab to keep some easily feeding slack readily available? 

I was curious about that too. I didn't know if he was hauling a small bag up or what but the available slack thing makes sense. 

I always enjoy Nico's films and really cool he was a part of this. Also (understandably) he got SLAMMED into the belay catching that first whipper!!

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Holy mole Ondra is not at all afraid to run the rope out and log serious air over gear.

I find that my tolerance for runouts drops by about 75% when I'm up high on El Cap. 

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660
I find that my tolerance for runouts increases by about 75% when I'm up on El Cap high.
Wish that were true for me. When I leave a belay in an exposed position on El Cap I have to will myself into not freaking out even on the easy stuff, and then constantly check myself against trying to keep a running toprope. Bomber cam placements that I'd usually not think twice about begin to look suspect. Solid jams feel dodgy, good edges seem like they could spit my feet right off. Free head goes to shit, in short. No chance of running the rope or freeing near my normal limits, ime.

What's your secret?

The belay Ondra leaves there is triply terrifying to me: no stance/hanging belay, just over the lip of the Salathé roof as exposed as it comes, with insecure climbing straight off the belay. Yeeesh.
Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40
The famous couple Zangerl/Larcher at it again. Not a pure trad climb, but surely not a sport climb either. Quite a few bolts in the harder pitches (quite common on limestone which is hard to protect traditionally). Here is the topo, so you can see how it is protected (scroll through the pictures)

https://www.planetmountain.com/en/photos/odyssee-the-hardest-route-on-the-eiger-north-face-by-roger-schaeli-robert-jasper-and-simon-gietl/32583?s=1​​​
nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
Distinctly non-pro climbers, first time in Zion.
SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Too much talking not enough climbing.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

That was REALLY boring... 

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started