Mountain Project Logo

COCHISE STRONGHOLD GUIDEBOOK, INFORMATION, and CLIMBING PARTNER MEETUP

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

I just came back to the northeast after a cochise trip. It was my second trip there but my first with a guidebook. Here are my thoughts on Tanya Bok's book: it is probably the best guidebook I have ever used. Color coded route topos, detailed gear descriptions,  accurate rappel and descent information , beautiful pictures, tons of random tidbits of trivia about the routes, the land, the history, and the natural environment... and still lightweight and packable.  Everything you need and nothing you don't. Buy it!! 

wwwcochiseclimbing com · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 140
Ira O wrote: I just came back to the northeast after a cochise trip. It was my second trip there but my first with a guidebook. Here are my thoughts on Tanya Bok's book: it is probably the best guidebook I have ever used. Color coded route topos, detailed gear descriptions,  accurate rappel and descent information , beautiful pictures, tons of random tidbits of trivia about the routes, the land, the history, and the natural environment... and still lightweight and packable.  Everything you need and nothing you don't. Buy it!! 
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are truly lucky to have the Stronghold in our backyard. Hope you had a great trip! Post us some photos

Eugen Beutler (as seen on As the Wind Cries in the Chay Desa Tsay Chapter) has asked me to post that he is looking for climbing partners this week in the Stronghold. He is solid on anything the Stronghold throws at him. You can reach him on facebook or message me for his number.

Also, another female climber is looking for partners starting Feb 2nd for a week. She keeps a low profile but I have watched in awe as she lead Rock Warrior 5.10R in Red Rocks. I'll send her your contact info. Thanks

I am seeing lots of questions about Border Patrol around the Stronghold. Here are some additional ideas to help with your trip planning:

I have been pulled over many times at these checkpoints just because after a few days of camping we "smell" like people who have been traveling through the desert. If you get searched, the border patrol is governed by federal law. This means anyone traveling with medical marijuana or related items will be treated under federal law which does not recognize state laws. You will be flagged by border patrol for years to come if they don't hand you over to local authorities and charged/arrested. They have been getting tight on this.

Secondly, if you are not a US citizen you will have to produce evidence that you are entitled to be in the country. As a Canadian, if I don't have my passport I can sit there for a long time but they have yet to made me get someone to drive it out from Tucson. With everything changing this may be the case at any time.

For most people, none of this is an issue but a nice day of climbing can quickly go down the drain if you don't plan accordingly.

The next Beanfest has just been announced by Bean Queen Bekah Taylor:

"This year's Bean Fest will be held on the West side of Cochise Stronghold, Arizona, on March 22nd through the 24th at the Isle of Ewe (You) Campground. Bean Fest will include the traditional Potluck dinner around Sundown on the 23rd along with the “beaning” and games to follow. There will also be a potluck breakfast on Sunday the 24th. "

Here is the best news for Southern Arizona in years!!!!!

The Forest Service did a survey of the area and determined that the falcons are nesting in a much wider spread area and that isolating the Rockfellows was no longer necessary. They are, however, relying on us climbers to self-police, spread the word about where there are nests and avoid those climbs. The Forest Service website is the official source and it lists it as open. They did have a little contradiction where they still had the dates for March 1-June 30 listed as closed but I spoke with them and the website will be updated to reflect that they are indeed open. I have contacted the biologist for their official recommended practices for peregrine encounters and what their survey revealed. For now.....HAPPY CLIMBING!

Please avoid getting on the routes Alls Well That Ends Well and On The Run on End Pinnacle. There is a nest in a hole on the face to the right of these routes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "COCHISE STRONGHOLD GUIDEBOOK, INFORMATION, and…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started