Mountain Project Logo

BD Oz Carabiner Expectations

Original Post
DF Dooley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

I want to preface this with the fact that I have other BD carabiners and they have always been immaculate, so I am just looking for some guidance from others who have BD OZs to see if it is just the way they are made, or if I got a bad batch. With that being said, I recently purchased a bunch of BD OZ alpine draws and also a number of OZ carabiners and noticed that quite a few of them had irregularities in the metal. Here are just a few of the examples:

The first pic is pretty minor and looks cosmetic and was only on a few, but the triangle fold in the notch of the nose was present in various states on about a third of them. I know that they are likely still safe, but was surprised that so many that I received had these issues so wanted to reach out to the hive mind to get additional opinions. I've never purchases the OZs before so have no idea if this is par for the course or if I was just unlucky. I appreciate any input!
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Looks like a bad anodizing job to me. I've bought BD seconds with better color jobs. 

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

Send the photos to BD. See if they'll replace them. Some here might climb on them. I wouldn't.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

BD Oz are my go-to carabiner. I have them on everything. They’re all the older version, as the nose on the newer version doesn’t fit through the eye on a piton. Please post up what BDs answer is. 

Ellis L · · Truckee · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 156

BD are generally great about warranties and would likely replace the biners after seeing these pictures. File a claim on their website!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

MIRCOFRACTURES!!!!!

timinthehouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote: MIRCOFRACTURES!!!!!

Yup, good call, definitely ygd scenario here.

Ryan Van Dyke · · Rolla, MO · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 25

Could be a bad anodizing job, or it could be due to cracks in their forging dies. Bottom line is you can't tell if those defects are structural or just cosmetic. If you email BD I'm sure they'll replace them at no charge.

Cabot Steward · · Smog Lake City · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2

Can’t happen in the aluminum carabiners are made of.

Also, if your in Salt Lake you can run them out to them or just shoot them an email and I’m sure KP or some gear nerd will be interested.
P.s. Ozs suck for any type of adventure climbing because their noses are to wide. They don’t fit through a lot of pitons, or leeper hangers.
Alan Zhan · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 156

if u can see them theyre not microfractures yp

Mike0110 · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 5

If you send them to me I can x-ray/CT scan them.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Mike0110 wrote: If you send them to me I can x-ray/CT scan them.

I'll hit shit with a hammer/stick it in a press and mail it to you if that's for real.

Mike0110 · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 5
Everett wrote:

I'll hit shit with a hammer/stick it in a press and mail it to you if that's for real.

No joke, PM me. It's pretty boring looking at stuff that doesn't have defects.

DF Dooley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

I sent the pics over to BD and they said it likely wasn’t structural so pngd, but did offer a warranty replacement. I appreciate the advice!

Cabot you’re right, OZ noses are a bit bulky so have a few keylocks floating around just in case.

Sorry to say it Mike, but they want them back ;D If I run into an interesting object in need of non destructive internal investigation I’ll be sure to send over.

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683

Have had problems with gates sticking/staying open on many of my Oz's, never on any other biner.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Oz Carabiner Expectations "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started