Mountain Project Logo

App Feedback

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

It's been brought up and I'm certain you are well aware but the back button behavior is so incredibly frustrating. Really a frustrating experience, especially when browsing the forums and you want to look at a photo or something then it kicks you all the way back home. I do web dev work, I understand how it got to be this way, but seriously frustrating UI that 95% of the time does not behave as expected. 

If supertaco worked on mobile I'd just go there! (Kidding, thanks for all your hard work guys!!)

Psyched for that UI/UX designer I've seen the want ad for :D

Edit: I used the word frustrating more times than I'm comfortable with from an editorial perspective. However, I suppose I am a little frustrated, so I'm leaving it. Again, devs, really appreciate your time and hard work

ItaliAnna Manzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 40

I have version 3.20 (on iphone 4). It used to work great, but now seems I am unable to install anything. When I try to get more areas, I get an error message about issues with connectivity (while I have strong wifi signal). the message is " An error occurred contacting MP. Please check your connectivity and try again". 

I get the same message when I try log in to my personal page from the app.

I have try to uninstall and reinstall and the problem persists.

UPDATE: after I uninstalled/installed again...now the app gives me only a blank page...

Anybody any idea how to fix this?

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507
Vince Meza wrote:

I enjoy the ability to keep track of the number of pitches climbed in the month/year.  This helps when you want to push the amount of ground covered in a month and is useful if you ask me.

However, some local areas would prefer if their beloved climbing spots were not posted on the internet (rightfully so sometimes).  It would be great if there were some kind of generic route builder (i.e. grade, pitches, length) that you could use for the purpose of keeping your pitches in line.  I don't know if you've got it already and I don't know about it or if anything is in the works.  

Thank you for the great work!  

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/112166257/generic-area

ItaliAnna Manzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 40
ItaliAnna wrote:

I have version 3.20 (on iphone 4). It used to work great, but now seems I am unable to install anything. When I try to get more areas, I get an error message about issues with connectivity (while I have strong wifi signal). the message is " An error occurred contacting MP. Please check your connectivity and try again". 

I get the same message when I try log in to my personal page from the app.

I have try to uninstall and reinstall and the problem persists.

UPDATE: after I uninstalled/installed again...now the app gives me only a blank page...

Anybody any idea how to fix this?

Is anybody still able to use the app on iphone 4? (version 3.20)? I wonder if they stopped supporting it...

Mic W · · Drake, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

Android app:

Forum lacks a search feature,  to hunt for posts by keyword. 

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Hah - I can give my own posts a thumbs up. :-)

David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 180

The new change of not being able to “bump” F/S posts is frustrating. I respect the abuse that some people have on constantly bumping it but there needs to be some other way to move your threads up. I have seen other sites use a “12 hr cool down” type system to allow people to bump but having nothing at all is rough.

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

So, it's been like a year and the biggest complaint about the new app has yet to be addressed. The UI is just not good, can hardly stand to use the app anymore. I understand if it's just not a priority, costs to much, or if it's a much bigger undertaking than it seems, but please let us know if or when it'll be addressed. Thanks

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ItaliAnna wrote:

Is anybody still able to use the app on iphone 4? (version 3.20)? I wonder if they stopped supporting it...

Um, even *Apple* no longer supports the iPhone 4. 

Goofy JungleMan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 32

Map Update/Additions

Is there a way to update the map to filter the climbs you see? Such as using the features of 'Route Finder: 5.7-5.11c, sport, 3*+ etc.' Secondly, would there be the ability to search within a defined range? Such as climbs within 300 miles that fit the aforementioned filters. 

Kenneth James · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Are the apps being worked on at all? Android hasn't had an update since January. Would really like to be able to comment on things and add routes from the app.

Edit: sorry for the bump, just read another post where an admin named Rachel said in July that the engineering team was strapped for resources but comments are on the road map. Anyway hopefully we can see a function to add routes too in the future

Andrew McQ · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 89

I just hope they fix the issue where the app deletes route photos on its own, leaving me with a bigger adventure than I originally anticipated.  This happened while in the backcountry to both my partner and I in the middle of a two-week trip, and we decided to neglect some of our objectives because of it.

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507
Kenneth James wrote: Are the apps being worked on at all? Android hasn't had an update since January. Would really like to be able to comment on things and add routes from the app.

Edit: sorry for the bump, just read another post where an admin named Rachel said in July that the engineering team was strapped for resources but comments are on the road map. Anyway hopefully we can see a function to add routes too in the future

I just want to voice my vote for the opposite, I think routes would be filled with a lot more totally unnecessary comments if we could do so from our phones.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
Kenneth James wrote: Are the apps being worked on at all? Android hasn't had an update since January. Would really like to be able to comment on things and add routes from the app.

Ive got a friend adding routes and areas straight from the browser on his iPhone. Though adding photos and comments would be a nice upgrade for the app.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

We have a new Android engineer starting next week!  A new build with many bug fixes is coming...

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

Not even sure if funding is an issue at MP, but ever talks of making it a paid app? Having the app on mobile is something I would pay for if helped to improve app.

Would help cut down on riff raff comments as Eli pointed out. 

stolo wrote: Not even sure if funding is an issue at MP, but ever talks of making it a paid app? Having the app on mobile is something I would pay for if helped to improve app.

Would help cut down on riff raff comments as Eli pointed out. 

I would probably stop using the site for anything but a guidebook at home / printing topos

To me, this is a wonderful resource for our community precisely because the cost isn't handled directly by the same bunch of dirtbags that add routes to the database

As an example, I would also never pay to read the new your times website or backpacking light.com. Paywalls suck. Support the free sharing of information. Etcetera.

Edit: if you want to get rid of people that post random pedantic bs about climbing (we're back to me) this is a great idea, but it may get rid of some of the positive contributions as well
Nick Wilder wrote: We have a new Android engineer starting next week!  A new build with many bug fixes is coming...

Stoked!!

Kenneth James · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote: We have a new Android engineer starting next week!  A new build with many bug fixes is coming...

Sweet! Thanks for the update!

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214
Scott Kilts wrote:As an example, I would also never pay to read the new your times website or backpacking light.com. Paywalls suck. Support the free sharing of information. Etcetera
I was just referring to the mobile app being paid since that is what seems to require more development work. Good points though
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "App Feedback"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started