Mountain Project Logo

What is the camping/living/climbing situation like around Bishop these days?

Original Post
Elijah Luna · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

I visited Bishop about 3 or 4 years ago for only a few days and never really got a feel for how things worked around there. So I am curious about the camping in terms of prices and how busy it got there. Are camping spots limited to a certain number of days, are spots hard to find due to traffic, is it mellow during the week and busier during the weekend?
Is parking for climbing usually hit or miss and are boulders typically swarming with people? (similar to Red Rock?)
I could ask a ton of questions but a broad description answering those questions would give me a good enough idea, plus any additional information would be greatly appreciated

Kailey Cox · · San Luis Obispo, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

Wrong forum - check out Northern California 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Kailey Cox wrote: Wrong forum - check out Northern California 

I don't think which forum makes much difference.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Kailey Cox wrote: Wrong forum - check out Northern California 

Ha! Bishop is a suburb of LA- a city inSouthern California! The LA City limit is located up by Lake Crowley. 

No problems camping... lots of places with no limit and no fees. Parking is never a problem. Finding spots with zero people to boulder or climb at is not a problem- once you learn the ropes- lots of spots not in GB. A vehicle with some ground clearance is required. And as soon as the snow flies, the crowds thin out .... well let’s say the folks from the Bay have a huge drive to get there. But lots of Northern European climbs show up and spend the winter. 
A really nice place. 
jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 415

Great history on the whole LA - Owens Valley debacle in the book Cadillac Desert. Ironically the fact that LA Water and Power owns all the land up there has probably kept the eastside pretty mellow. Too bad for the farmers though.....

Anyway Bishop is amazing. Park anywhere, camp anywhere, no one will bother you. Usually some friendly climber folks at The Pit just north of town.

The Pit is $5 a night and any old forest service road snaking up the eastside is free! Sleeping by the sage always nice.

The usual bouldering circuits are certainly more social but no reason you can't get all the laps in your skin can take anyway!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "What is the camping/living/climbing situation l…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started